resources.

1) For example, most colleges have
some sort of an introductory course/
programme for freshmen. Ours used to be
non-credit and a semester long, the
classes meeting once a week. For most
years the classes came to the library
for 2 of those weeks.

Last Autumn we totally revamped the process.

Our current required freshmen programme is
taught in their first semester and is a 6
credit course. Every freshman is required
to produce research papers over the semester
that equal a minimum of 25 pages.

Two library resources & research sessions
are required as part of this programme. A
writing coach/instructor is also assigned
to each of these classes.

I’ve taught (and will teach this fall)
a number of these classes.

Subjects include:
--- Societies of Modern Africa
--- Consumerism in America
--- Supreme Court Cases that Changed the
United States
--- Legal vs Literary Storytelling: An
Examination of Narrative in Literary &
Legal Writing
--- The Great Depression and Uncle Sam’s
Federal Theatre Project

2) In addition to revamping the freshman
programme, several years ago the college
opened a separate writing center available
to all students (and faculty) to support
(and improve) writing and research.

3) Over and above the freshmen courses, I
teach quite a few library resource sessions
mostly in Law, Political Science & International
Relations at both the Undergraduate & Graduate
levels.

Every single syllabus for every single one
of these classes includes required research
papers.

During the semester I have a constant stream
of students from these classes making
appointments to discuss research and resources
because they’re writing required research
papers.

Kind regards,
Grace-Ellen

Professor Grace-Ellen McCrann
Chief, Government Documents Division
The City College of New York
Cohen Library, 2nd floor
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
(212) 650 5073
gemscot@yahoo.com

"....I got a little education and I could better myself,
you know, because I could read and write."
~~Leon Walter Tillage. Leon's Story. Farrar, Strauss, Giroux, 1997.

Peg Becksvoort, LMS, NBCT
Falmouth Middle School Library
52 Woodville Rd.
Falmouth, ME 04105