Here are more responses that I received...
However, in the interim, I have been "googling" and I highly recommend
it.
To me it feels like I'm going on a treasure hunt!!!

1.
I LOVE my smartboard!

Some uses:

Student input:
With my seniors - a lot of times we analyze documents:  What are the
really important components of this assignment?  OR  In light of
question 1, what pieces of information do you need from this article?
etc.  I have the kids highlight or underline what they think is
important, usually having 3 kids volunteer (or not...)  Then we talk
about the choices that were made, and why.  Very good for focusing on
what is truly important, and can spark some intense discussions.

With my 7th graders:  They did "newsbroadcasts" on aspects of the
Revolutionary War (powerpoints) - those who used maps to analyze
battles were able to draw troop movements or circle important
geographical elements.

Focusing awareness:
When I'm teaching a concept I like to be able to highlight or circle
important points. For example, I have a dummy paper I use to go over
MLA formating, and I'll mark it up as I teach each concept, such as
margins and parenthetical citations.  I use the same technique when
analyzing a website, drawing atttention to various parts needed for
citation, or items that help establish credentials for the site, such
as staff biographies that list their academic degrees.

You can also cover portions of the screen and reveal what you want to
and lots more, but I use the highlighting and pen functions the most.

2.
We use the smartboard (not always) to read books digitally - the books
come from the International Children's Digital Library.  If you use
the whiteboard for a series of books, even small children can vote at
the end of a term and say which book they liked the best (this
technology is available through the whiteboard). You can link a book
to all kinds of information about the author etc. - make a
presentation.  You can store material which you have already used on
the whiteboard - from class to class, from year to year.  I am also
thinking about getting children to make book trailers of their
favorite book - these could be projected onto the whiteboard, however
I haven't done this yet.

3.
Join the Smart Exchange and look at the Kansas group, you can also do a
search for library, go to smarttech.com and they also have lessons and
stuff to use. Have you downloaded the software yet? I would also suggest
a webanar or a class in your area if you can.

4.
I have used my SB to have kids sort the differences between wants and
needs; long ago and now; parts of a book. There are some great lessons
available from the sb site under resources. And, many other great
posts on other sites.
You can do sequence activities, guide word activities, maps.
The students love to use it and will behave well if they think you
will call on them to move something. We have a subscription to
BookFlix from Scholastic and after each story there are interactive
activities. Lots of fun. You are going to love this technology.
I have a friend who stores all her lessons in the sbnotebook. She can
link to united streaming and other images so they are always in the
notebook for use next year etc.

5.
I have PreK through 6th also.  I love my SMART Board and use it every
day.
Check out my website at www.rce.k12tn.net. On the left hand side
you'll want
to look at the links "Media Center" and "SMART Board tools".

6.
Go to their web site and play with it.. you should have a code to get
in at your school ...

7.
I use mine all the time for teaching navagition of sites, how to use
the OPAC, etc. Most of the sites I use and/or demonstrate are included
on my Only2Clicks page. Sometimes if we have extra time to kill for
one reason or another (we had a security lock down one day) and play
the USA Map Test.

8.
I love the software smart notebook that should come with the Smart
board. You can use this to create games and other learning materials
as easily as you would a power point. In fact, this software could
replace power point.