This type of library setup sounds awesome, and I applaud Debra for her
accomplishments. The problem I had with AR when my son was in school
was that he didn't have a choice. Everyone did AR. In second grade he
was reading at a 6th or 7th grade level, and they didn't have any
books for him with AR tests at that level. So it may have been helpful
for other students, but was an unfair waste of his time. It's great if
you have the option of using AR in a particular way and with selected
students. But when it is thrust upon everyone without the thoughtful
approach that Debra and Janet have described, I think it is unhelpful
and unfair.

Marsha Redd, Librarian
Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com

Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a
student. Everyone is a teacher.