I definitely consider AR, Scholastic Counts and so forth as lemons
but do acknowledge that administrators (as misguided as I believe
they are) will probably continue to support the program as they see
it as measurable.  So be it.  I don't have the energy to convince
the world that I'm right and they are wrong.  I'd rather do something
about it than be right.

So this is what I choose to do -- Stop thinking that AR is the
library program.  AR is not the reading program and NOT the library
program.  So however the teachers use AR is their business, they are
going to follow the district's directives AND their own
"professional" pathway.  We need to follow ours.
When a child comes back to the library with a book saying something
along the lines of, "I can't have this book as its not my AR level."
-- you say, "Of course, you can have this book -- you can have any
book you wish to have." I think what Mr.______ or Ms. _______ was
saying is that she/he wants you to have a book at your AR level for
reading in the classroom and that is okay because she/he is trying to
teach you specific reading skills.  BUT I know you can read this book
because you want to  (or because your mom/dad/sister/brother will
help you).  So you keep this book -- and I will help you pick out
another one for the classroom.  This one you can read in your free
time and you can have  it to read in bed tonight -- or to  read when
grandma comes -- you get the idea.  Will you come back when you
finish this book?  I'd love to hear what you liked about it (or some
other such dialogue -- then make a note of name/room number and title
of book AND FOLLOW UP with a dialogue with that student even if you
have to track him/her down in their classroom).

Then send a note back to the teacher -- saying that You have helped
Johnny (or whoever) choose a book at his/her AR level but the book he
is ALSO keeping is one of interest and meets YOUR library goals of
encouraging wide reading in areas of interest.
See the Language standards from the International Reading Association
and the National Council of the Teachers of English at:
http://www.readwritethink.org/standards/

The first one begins --
Students read a wide range of print and nonprint texts to build an
understanding of texts, of themselves, and of the cultures of the
United States and the world; to acquire new information; to respond
to the needs and demands of society and the workplace; and for
personal fulfillment. Among these texts are fiction and nonfiction,
classic and contemporary works.

We need to keep the vision "how can I get great books into the hands
of readers who want to  read them."  Keep the vision, and then walk
the talk.

Sharron McElmeel

At 1:24 PM -0500 8/29/09, Betsy Ruffin wrote:
>Yes, yes, I agree with all the minuses of AR (and know the pluses
>also).  I even act as district liaison for the program, especially
>in the tech realm and see the between campus issues with it ("that
>campus does such and such and I thought we were supposed to or not
>supposed to.....).
>
>However, getting practical, I also know that the program is not
>likely to go away anytime soon as the admins really like it. (Note:
>It is used only in elementary).   So, my question for the group is,
>facing this situation -- and I suspect I am not the only one dealing
>with this reality --  what might we as librarians do to help the
>program run more efficiently, still encourage a love of reading in
>the students, and other such questions?
>
>That is, faced with certain realities, how can we help matters?
>
>Just a thought
>  Betsy Ruffin
>librarian-technologist
>Cleburne ISD
>Cleburne, TX
>betsy.ruffin@cleburne.k12.tx.us

Sharron L. McElmeel
http://www.mcelmeel.com

McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcbookwords.com/

Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
Children's Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit/
Young Adult Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/yalit/

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562