So sorry this took so long. Newbie, family obligations and all that.

Thank you so so much to everyone who contributed the detailed ideas posted below.
Since I'm totally new and have little time at the moment to put together a detailed
folder for now at least (and, as some pointed out, this is an emergency folder, not
for when I know I'll be out and can contact a sub in advance to explain things) I'm
ordering a few library lesson plan books and will use those.

Nadene Eisner
Teacher-librarian
Ferson Creek Elementary School
St. Charles, IL

I have such a folder. I make sure that my colleagues in the library know exactly
where it is located. I have class lists for each class, a copy of my schedule, a
copy of my library rules, and a copy of general library procedures (i.e. students
are limited to 3 books checked out at a time, the password to log-on to the
computer, etc). If you had a seating chart that should also be icnluded. In my
folder I also have stock lesson plans for each of the grades, complete with all
necessary worksheets, that I never use. In this way if I ever need an emergency sub
there is something ready to go. Last year I became violently ill after school and
one of my lessons was used, so it was nice to have had (of course this meant I
needed to come up with a new emergency lesson).

Put together book and skill activities.

Example: Fancy Nancy--Thesaurus activity

Stringbean's trip to the shining sea--American Atlas and a postcard
You want to include:

1. your master schedule
2. seating charts
3. contact numbers for emergency situations (ie if computer problem call...)
4. your rules and procedures (book check out, fire drill...
5. an emergency lesson book (just incase you couldn't get in to do plans)

I just retired and I always had a sub folder. We had to keep in mind that
the sub may not understand the library, information literacy or the
technology we had for use in lessons.
So, for each grade K-5 my lessons (1 per grade level) were fairly basic.
A book to read, activities to go with the story and time to check out.
For upper grades, a review or a lesson on a printed resource or a particular
section of the lmc so that kids are engaged and intouch with a part of the
lmc they might not always see or use.

I'm required to have one. This year I plan on teaching a few games and have the
substitute use those. Games like The Dictionary Game (that Balderdash came from);
Go Fish with real books and Dewey numbers for the suits. I'm also wanting to make
up some Bingo games.
It was suggested that I set aside some videos that only I use. Those could then
also be used by the sub. I have several Reading Rainbow videos that I can use,
either in whole or just part of it.
Keep in mind these are what I would use for an unexpected absence. Otherwise I
would try to keep to my normal plans.

I always keep a sub folder; it's funny that I'm working on it this evening. I'm
probably going to add a few more things this year. I also write very detailed
lesson plans.

    1. Substitute Folder (teacher store- has it it written across the front)
    2. Lesson Plan (inside on top)
    3. Handouts
    4. Full schedule (includes lunch & duty); instructions for duties during
planning period.
    5. Class Roster (can asterisk class helpers)
    6. Seating Chart (if you seat the same way or directions on seating)
    7. Comment form (one sheet for all classes; to monitor behavior, and get
feedback on lesson); also, I ask if she/he would like to sub again, availability,
phone number; I type thank you for subbing on the form. I used to tape on a
peppermint.
    8. Materials underneath folder (books, etc)
    9. Intercom list is on wall (school extensions); you may want to put one in
folder.

When I make out my sub folder---it is a 3 ring binder and I put everything in there
that I think a substitute might need to know or use.

I start out with the title page with the name of the school, address, phone number
and the principal's name on it.

Secondly--I put a map of the school in there with the library, office, lunchroom,
teacher's lounge and restrooms highlighted.

I then put in my schedule at a week's glance and then further break it down into
the daily schedule. If I want check-out to occur in my absence then I give details
on how to check-out materials to the students and staff. If I don't want materials
checked-out by a substitute then I leave detailed instructions for the sub as to
what I want him/her to do with my classes and have those materials in an envelope
to be used that day. Also listed are my duties to include any before and after
school requirements.

I have a section on the circulation system that tells how it operates. It also
mentions some of the problems that may pop up and tells how to handle those
problems. I have pictures of what the screen will look like when these issues arise
and how to handle them.

I put in a copy of my fire-drill plan and my tornado-drill plan in a different
section.

I have a section that has rubber gloves and band-aids (in a ziplock baggie)and
accident report sheets to be filled out in the event of an accident.

I have in my sub folder the instructions to logging into our OPAC. This includes a
user name/password for the sub! A bell/lunch schedule, and a schedule of any duties
you might have. I have 3/week: front hall and 'band room door' for two days. Also,
our nurse is providing a list of students who have health issues. If a safety drill
is planned, I post that near the check-out station for two reasons: 1. the sub and
2. so I don't forget! One more thing...any lesson plans for the time I'm not there.
If, for some reason, I don't have them, I always e-mail them to the building
secretary so she can give to sub.

A Substitute folder is a very good idea. In mine I walk through the morning
routine, opening the doors, starting the circulation computer (remember that the
sub may not have many computer skills so if you want things done right you have to
be very specific) Explain your policies and how things should be done in case of a
system crash. I have always had real good luck with my subs, when I was clear about
what I wanted done. You might want to have a simple lesson for each grade level
that will keep the students busy. I also put in some word searched and crossword
puzzles.

We were told to create a sub folder for anytime we have to be absent and this past
spring we were hit hard with the flu and our admin was worried we would be out for
two weeks or so.

My subfolder is general in that with a sub I know and trust I leave instructions
incl passwords to my pc and my library automation software. If you do not wish to I
understand. I usually leave:

    • a phone listing highlighting important numbers
    • my schedule for the day ( if I know in advance as I am a flex schedule
middle school library type and anything can happen)

any research assignments currently ongoing in my library which includes:

    • teacher's original assignment
    • MY pathfinder generated for that assignment(s)
    • a bibliography(ies) of books and materials that have been pulled on a cart
and/ or identified in the collection for that assignments(s)

I also leave basic materials like the MLA bibliography format and a generic lesson
or two. See if an elementary colleague can share a generic lesson plan or two with
you.