No one offered the elusive term, but the suggestions were terrific and I
will use them all. Thanks so much! Do read to the end because the last two
are particularly moving. Enormous thanks to all who contributed.

I don't know the term, but I have fond memories of something similar.
When my beloved grandmother passed away 15 years ago one of the
ladies in her Sunday School class came up to our family and told us
of the group's tradition.  It was a beautiful remembrance of friends
 loved and now passed.  One person would come to the home where the
family was and select a few possessions that the family was not going
 to take as part of their inheritance.  Then the ladies Bible Study
group would each then take one personal item and that would always
 remind them of their friend.
************************************
The Disney version (sadly, not the book) of Alice In Wonderland has an
> unbirthday party in it, complete with unbirthday gifts that one can get on
> any day but one's birthday. Perhaps unbirthday gift is a term to consider
************************************
How about "bequesting"?

************************************
maybe repurposing?

***********************************
Perhaps passing along a memento?

***********************************
In Native American culture it is known as a Giveaway.  Sometimes a family
would give away everything they owned in gratitude for a blessing they
received or for a special occasion like a wedding.   At some ceremonies like
a naming ceremony the family might just give a gift to everyone who
attended.

Giving for the sake of giving is a beautiful thing.
Pat -- not thinking this is a universal term but in our family my children

Pat Bartoshesky
retired - Highlands Elementary School
2100 Gilpin  Ave.
Wilmington, DE 19806