I am sorry it took so long. I had to call Follett three times before I actually
reached someone who could talk to me about their scanners. I updated to a new PC
and my old serial port scanner was no longer compatible with my computer, so I
needed a USB bar code scanner that would work well with Athena 9.1 on a Windows
operating system.

I spoke with Connie today from their sales office and she recommended the 3800
CCD-G Scanner. It's $459 with the stand (optional) and (not optional, I believe) a
5-year warranty. The scanner without the stand is $399. She also mentioned that I
should add in about $15 for shipping and the disclaimer that Follett tech support
does not support scanners purchased from other businesses/ online sources because
their scanner comes with special software.

On my own, I went to the Follett sales page and found these items:
http://www.follettsoftware.com/page/in_hand_solutions/

http://www.follettsoftware.com/page/3820_cordless/

OTHER REPLIES:

On Mon, 8/17/09

April

Look for a scanner that can be programmed.  Most but not all scanners, can
be individually programmed.  The cheaper ones usually can't.  We use
Honeywell IT3800 scanners here and they are very reliable, long lasting, and
can be individually set up in about 15 different types of barcodes.  The scanner
itself has been through a number of companies and there are a number of
variations (ranging from 3800 through at least 3800G).  There are other
good brands also, including Symbol.  Just make sure you get a manual with
the scanner that has all the programming codes.

Larry Wieland

Jeffcat Cataloging Supervisor

Jefferson Co. Public Schools

Golden, CO

lwieland@jeffco.k12.co.us

On Mon, 8/17/09
I would suggest you contact
Athena support if you can to get suggestions

from them as to brands that work with your automation system.  Last year I

was able to buy an inexpensive bar code reader from the automation company.

Are you restricted to companies on a bid list is another problem.

Sandy Scroggs

sscroggs@satx.rr.com
personal email address

On Mon, 8/17/09
We
recently installed new computers on the Library circulation desks.  The
new computers do not have Printer connectors.  The slip printers were in
good condition so we bought new cables (USB connector to Printer Connector) for
about $29 each.

These
cables come with the driver software (On CD) to make the slip printers work
with the new computers.

Claude
Nivens; Lebanon, TN