I’ve had a number of questions about the Library Lunch Club I sponsor and
how it’s run.

It’s really very easy.  The top 25 readers in the 5th grade and the top 25
readers in the 4th grade are members.  We’re an AR school so it’s easy to
pick the top 25 but you could use grades or behavior or whatever worked for
you.  I also include anyone who makes all As and some special ed students
are working hard.  Our population is transitory so I also include new
students who are go getters when it comes to reading.  It’s my club – I get
to make the rules.  J  We have about 100 4th & 100 5th graders so about ¼
are “in the club”.

Members get to take their lunch trays from the cafeteria and eat lunch in
the library.  I have 10 round tables, each with 5 chairs.  They can sit with
whomever they want – that’s one of the big draws.  Students can sit with
their friends from previous years or they can sit all boys or all girls.  In
the cafeteria they have to sit by class.  Once they have finished (and
cleaned the table) they can get up, use the computers or the iTouches, talk
to their friends, read or do pretty much whatever they want (so long as it
doesn’t frighten the horses  - or the librarian).  I have a couple of big
trash cans so they can dispose of trays and unwanted food.

The kids love it, the teachers love it – it promotes reading with no work on
their part.  The cafeteria monitors like it because it helps with the
overcrowding problem.  The only people who aren’t wild about the idea are
the custodians who worry about the carpet.  My Principal says we can clean
the carpet and kids are more important than spots on the rugs.

Every month I re-run the AR numbers and the membership changes – I do that
on purpose as a life lesson.    We know that having a reached a goal you
have to set another one and keep working or you call behind but many our
students don’t.  Our population is ESL, bi-lingual , Title I, 90% Free lunch
, you name it, we have it.  We spend a great deal of time teaching goal
setting.

The club runs from 11:30 – 12:30 – so it takes an hour of my time ( I sort
of eat my lunch then too.).  The kids know it’s a privilege and are very
good about not abusing the library or the computers.

One nice extra is that I’ve 50 kids who are very computer savvy and they
bring that back to the classrooms.  The teachers are more willing to try
some Web 2.0 products when they know they have some willing helpers.  I like
it because I really get to know the kids.  The students are excited about
reading and know the library is a happening place.

All in all, it is a win win situation for everyone – well except maybe the
carpet.

Guusje Moore

Librarian

Housman Elementary School