From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary E. Buttner
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 10:57 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: HIT: Checkout of Reference Books

Thanks to everyone who responded.

 My orginal post:  I was curious as to the policy in other media centers
regarding the use of reference books.  Our students cannot take
reference books out of the library into classrooms for use and
definitely cannot check them out to take home.  There are students who
do not have access to computers at home let alone encyclopedias or
dictionaries.  Some of these students do not have transportation to
public libraries to use these resources outside of school.  I would like
to know what other libraries' policies are regarding this issue.

Beth Buttner
Student Librarian
Matoaka Elementary
Williamsburg, VA
buttnerb@wjcc.k12.va.us

Here are the responses that I received:

I was glad to see this post -  I had something come up recently where I
was
> doing an Almanac lesson and the kids were really interested in taking
out
> the kids almanacs.  I have 30 copies.   Once my lesson is done, those
> almanacs don't see a lot of use.   I don't have a problem letting some
of
> them circulate, but my aides were shocked at the idea.  They said they

> don't ever go out.  I thought it was great that the kids wanted to
take them out
> (versus the Guiness Book of World Records).   I think I will make a
few of
> them circulating since there was an interest.
___________________

I think the prohibition on checking out reference books and magazines
goes back to public library policies that do not apply to school
libraries.  A public library cannot allow reference books and magazines
to go out the door because they never know when or if they will ever see
those folks again.  However, in a school, we know where we can find our
patrons anyday and everyday.  I've been checking out reference books and
magazines for a decade now.  Reference books are still technically a
one-day check out, but I usually ask the patron (student) how long he or
she needs it, and then I adjust the date for him.

Please give it a try.  You can always go back to restrictions if you
need to, but I can't imagine that you will.
______________________________
 At my elem facility, we've purchased class sets (25 copies) each of
atlases, dictionaries, and thesauri and we let them all go out like a
regular books. We did this b/c we also have a digital divide problem in
our region and also because teachers do like to borrow them in bunches
when they do class projects (ie our grade 3 map skills unit).
Incidentally, our students really love to take atlases out.  We use the
National Geographic for Young Explorers and for Beginners atlases, which
are on the inexpensive side in case one gets lost.  At both my elem and
high school facilities, we let regular reference books (such as volumes
of the encyclopedia or single title works like the Cold War
Encyclopedia) go out overnight/for the weekend/over holiday breaks for
projects, with the understanding that the student can't check it out
until the end of the day and that they will return the book during
homeroom or as soon as they arrive back at school. We warn students
about the purchase price of the reference book and tell them that
they'll get a bill if it's not back.  We have not had any problems thus
far with getting these items back later than an hour after school starts
for the day.  Within the building, teachers can borrow reference books
on a day-by-day basis, and students can come borrow reference materials
for one class period/study hall at a time.  We move old reference (last
year's almanac, older version of atlas, etc) into normal circulation
once we purchase the newest version.
______________________________
I allow checkout by teachers and students for use in the classrooms. I
also will photocopy sections of a reference book for students. I do ask
the students not to bring expensive reference books home for fear
something could happen to the book at home and the student(and library)
will be unable to pay to replace it.
______________________________
We have overnight checkout for reference books. We will allow them to go
out to students to use in their classroom during the day also.
_____________________________
I allow my children to check out reference books. In 30+ years, I think
one volume of an ency has been lost. I'll admit my reference section
gets very little use so I hate to see all that money just sitting on the
shelves.
______________________________
This is something I have been thinking about for several years. With the
Internet resources we have available at school I just don't see the need
for my schools to have all these expensive and rarely used resources
collecting dust on the shelves.We luckily have World Book online and
other great reference resources on the Internet and I will print
articles for children who do not have Internet at home. So this year, I
am turning most of my reference books into regular circulating items. My
students are having great fun reading our animal encyclopedias and
especially the big foreign language dictionaries. I'm using the shelf
space for other items now.
______________________________
I check them out.  I also ILL them if they're not in use at the moment
for a project.
I can't stand to look at expensive useful books sit on shelves when
someone needs them, remembering all the years I needed them and couldn't
take them out!  Make your own loan policy, but yes, get them into needy
hands.
________________________________
I have merged my  non-fiction and the vast majority of reference to make
it easier to find all the books we own on a topic in one place.  The
automation system knows which ones are reference books and we have them
clearly marked.  We DO loan the book overnight.  We let the kids know
that they are for overnight only and that they are quite expensive -
averaging about $75.  They are good about bringing the books back in.
Sometimes not the next day - but often withing a few days.   We have a
very small section with a set of World book and some atlases that we
refer to as quick reference.  We don't sign those out - but offer to
copy the articles they need.
_________________________________
After carefully observing the lack of use of our reference section (we
have wonderful databases available to teachers and students) I started
letting kids check out reference books the middle of last year. The kids
love the books!!! Plus, we haven't lost one yet and the books,
encyclopedias, and dictionaries are actually being used instead of just
sitting there collecting dust.

I'm all for it. We have the same problems as you  mentioned with access
to the public library and other informational sources as many of our
families are not native English speakers.
__________________________________
We do not allow reference to be checked out but have severely limited
the books in reference to those that cant go elsewhere, such as
encyclopedia sets, multi-volume sets, or local history books which are
one of a kind.
__________________________________
EVERYTHING in my library can be checked out!  I discovered early on that
kids will find a way to get what they need and if yo say they CAN'T.
they will do things that are not acceptable (steal, take a razor blade
to the page they need, etc...)  My reference books can be taken out
overnight only.  IF they are checked out, at least I know who has it --
the other way it's anyone's guess.  I also have a coin-op copy machine
in the library so that kids can make copies of pages if they cannot for
other reasons check things out.

Since instituting this change I thinks I've only lost 3-5 reference
books.  That was 15 years ago.
__________________________________
We do not have a Reference Section.  Reference books are in the regular
collection and are checked out for two weeks.  It works for us.
__________________________________
I check out reference materials over night.  The kids are pretty darn
good about bringing things back the next day.
__________________________________
The way you describe your students is a mirror to mine. I allow my
students to check them out the same as any other book. But they aren't
checked out because they are necessarily doing research - they just have
an interest. If I didn't allow them to be checked out the Ref section
would go untouched. It's difficult to tell a child 'no' when you don't
have a good reason. I have one teacher who checks out a complete set of
Encyclopedias every year and her students love them. I can see why. As a
child I can remember having the World Book and Childcraft at home and
pouring over them constantly. In fact, I still have my Childcraft set.
At school nobody misses the set or evens realizes they are gone.

Ultimately, you will do what is best for your kiddos. I think you
already know the answer.
__________________________________
All of my reference books, including encyclopedias and dictionaries are
available to check out overnight.
__________________________________
We allow students to check out any and all reference books. I started
allowing this about 20 years ago and have lost one almanac and three
encyclopedias. None of them were paid for, as sometimes happens. I
continue with the policy because the benefit for the patrons is well
worth the cost.
__________________________________
I used to protect the very expensive reference books, and students could
only make copies of pages to take home. At this point, if anyone
actually wanted to take a book out, I would allow them to because I
would not even care if they lost it.  Our reference section is becoming
obsolete, and I am not ordering new.
__________________________________
I circulate everything.  The reference stuff is a little more restricted
than regular books.  I will check with the teacher to make sure the
student is reliable (we have a very big problem with kids not bringing
back books).  Depending on the book/student I will also impose a time
limit..usually 3-5 days instead of 2 weeks.
I also don't circulate any reference books that are really big or really
heavy (such as atlases and "big" dictionaries).  Too many problems.
As a public library, we have relaxed our entire reference area.  What's
the point of having public access if it's all limited?  We are making
most books available for everyone to check out...

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER:

 * LM_NET Supporters:
http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/