Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I hope I have thanked each one
individually.
Below is my original request, followed by the HIT
~Sarah

*Original request:
*
Our 7th grade students all read /Dragonwings /right now but we are
looking for something new, as that title hasn't been engaging them very
well in the last few years.

We would love to find something that is related to their work in
geography. They study most of the countries in the world (except for the
U.S. and Central America), so if there is something set in one or more
foreign countries, that might work.

But mostly what we're looking for is a well-written book with good
character development, suitable for 7th grade in terms of accessibility,
along with being engaging so that they are able to write and/or talk
about events, characters, plot, conflict, and theme. A tall order, I
know, but I'm hoping some of you have the perfect, tried and true novel
for this age group.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Sarah Woo
MS Librarian
Danvers, MA 01923
sarahwoo@danvers.org

*HIT:*

Teacher's Funeral by Richard Peck is awesome.

"Bound" by Donna Napoli (set in China-- Chinese Cinderella story)

You don't specify that it has to be a novel, so I will suggest Three
Cups of Tea.  There is a Young Readers Edition as well as the original
adult book.

39 Clues (geography)

The London Eye Mystery, Dowd

A String in the Harp, Nancy Bond

Bloomability, Creech

The book Wednesday Wars fits everything you describe, EXCEPT for being
set in foreign countries.  There is so much in that book, set in the
late 60s and involving everything from the Cold War to the Vietnam War
to Shakespeare to "rats in the attic."  I LOVED the book, and it would
be perfect for 7th grade. It has humor, teen angst, history, etc.
Wonderful character development.

You  might want to look at Keeping Corner by Kashmira Sheth. The
protagonist is a young woman (teen really) in India who is betrothed to
a young man who dies very early, and she is required to "keep corner"
for a year--dark clothing, no jewelry, no leaving the house for a year.
She barely knew her husband, so the biggest blow is how to carry on with
such restrictions. Even though the main character is a girl, someboys
read it too, and enjoyed it. Fortunately it has a happy resolution. Good
character development and very accurate protrayal of Indian life in
early 20 c.

have you tried Christopher Paolini or the Twilight Saga? Anythign by
Laurie Hart anderson is good.

*Thanks again.
Sarah Woo
MS Librarian