I responded to Sarah privately and sent her some information that
related to her question about picture books that could be used to
illustrate the theme of courage.  However, I wanted to post to the
list a very useful resource that many of you may be interested in
purchasing for your library --- especially if you have the need for
answers to these types of questions (for example:  "What picture books
could be used for / to represent the theme / subject of ----"fill in
the blank"--?")

Libraries Unlimited has their wonderful book, "A to Zoo: Subject
Access to Children's Picture Books" by Carolyn W. Lima and John A.
Lima (7th edition)---with a supplemental volume just recently added to
the 7th edition--- available for just such projects!
http://lu.com/search.cfm

There are wonderful lists of subjects / themes that are filled with
hundreds / thousands of picture books that showcase those specific
content areas. You can search from "A to Zoo" to find what picture
books could be used for a particular subject and then simply match the
book's content to your own online catalog.  It's also a GREAT resource
to use for collection development, especially if you work in a school
that uses "thematic units" or have character education (or other
subject-specific themes) programs throughout the year.

The book is somewhat expensive; however, if you have Title I funding
or if your principal or reading teacher would allow you to use
portions of their budget to purchase the book, I think it would be
very beneficial to everyone!

Enjoy!

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

http://okschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com
http://okschoollibrarians.ning.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist
School Library Journal

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money
will get you through times of no libraries." ~ Library Poster