I just want to add that I had ordered the FREE (no shipping even) net cetera
pamphlet for our K-8 school.  The layout was very appealing and the quality
very good.  We handed them out on conference night and I was lauded highly
for it.  I highly recommend it to any school library.  Next year I will give
them out at back to school night.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Nancy Willard <nwillard@csriu.org> wrote:

> I received this information from a gentleman at FTC I wanted to pass on.
>
>> This morning, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, Federal Trade
>> Commission Chairman Jon Leibowitz, and Federal Communications Commission
>> Chairman Julius Genachowski introduced "Net Cetera: Chatting with Kids
>> About Being Online" at Jefferson Middle School in Washington, DC.  This
>> free guide from OnGuardOnline.gov tells parents and teachers what they
>> need to know to talk to kids about issues like cyberbullying, sexting,
>> mobile phone safety, and protecting the family computer.  Read more
>> about today's event at http://ftc.gov/opa/2009/12/netcetera.shtm.
>> Net Cetera is available at
>> http://www.onguardonline.gov/topics/net-cetera.aspx and in Spanish at
>> http://www.alertaenlinea.gov/topics/net-cetera.aspx.  Feel free to link
>> to the guide, grab the button for your website, and post sections on
>> your blog or website.  And let your constituents know that they can
>> order free copies to share with family and friends - or with a school,
>> scout troop, or soccer team - from http://bulkorder.ftc.gov.
>> We've already gotten a great response to Net Cetera.  Schools and school
>> systems, police departments, libraries and other community organizations
>> have ordered almost 300,000 copies.  That includes 120,000 that the Cobb
>> County, GA schools will distribute to every student in the system in
>> January.  We've got 1.2 million left in our first printing.  Again you
>> can order at bulkorder.ftc.gov.
>>

> The Net Cetera material from the FTC is very good. Within the federal
> government, it is clear that the responsibility for imparting information
> about Internet concerns has been transferred from the Department of Justice
> to the FTC. This is very good.
> An interesting story about the FTC. When social networking first emerged,
> the FTC posted material on their site that was pretty fearful. In less than
> a year, however, they had pulled that initial material and posted material
> that was much more balanced and accurate. In my experience, it is rare for a
> government agency, especially federal, to engage in this kind of ongoing and
> rapid review and modification. So I really applaud the actions of this group
> within the FTC.
> Nancy
>

> --
> Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
> Center for Safe and Responsible Internet Use
> http://csriu.org
> http://cyberbully.org
> http://cyber-safe-kids.com
> http://csriu.wordpress.com
> nwillard@csriu.org
>
> Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online
> Social Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)
> Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
> Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)
>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
> [...]

Kristina Fallon, LMS
Robert Morris School, k-8
So Bound Brook, NJ
librarychickie@gmail.com
"Only the educated are free." - Epictetus, (Greek-born, Roman slave and
philosopher- 55 AD - 135 AD)