I haven't commented on this thread, because I haven't had the experience of
teachers and parents not respecting me or my position. I'm not sure why that is;
I'm certainly no more special than the next librarian.  I wonder if it's a question
of visibility? I don't really like being called a teacher librarian; I consider
myself a librarian, though it really shouldn't matter WHAT we call ourselves.  The
parents do tend to know me, though, and that may have to do with me just
being...um...loud? Visible? lol.

I myself don't have a ton of respect for the "degree."  I think, for me, it was
just something I had to do for this career path. I am way more proud of my
undergrad in philosophy.  Our computer teacher is an AMAZING teacher, and everyone
knows it, and she doesn't even have her undergrad. I'm perfectly happy for people
to ask if I needed a degree; it gives me a chance to tell them, and also to explain
what I do.  The piece of paper doesn't do that.  I've also met all kinds of
teachers with the same number of degrees that I have, and, for the life of me,
can't imagine how they managed to get them.

Don't hate me, please. Just sayin'. :-D

 Wendy Stoll, Librarian
Smyrna Elementary School
Louisville, KY