*SCHOOL-LIBRARIES.NET*

* *

Looking back at 2009:

198 new school libraries were added and numerous links updated.  Sadly, we
removed a number of inactive links. The end of the year was particularly
active with 30 libraries in December and 36 in November.  Let’s keep it
going and add 250 libraries in 2010.  You can do it.  To add your library
use the form at http://www.standardcatalogs.com/forms/contact.htm

Many new libraries outside North America were added, with libraries from
Palestine, Turkey, Portugal, Myanmar, South Korea, Tanzania and South
Africa.  It would be nice to have libraries from Iraq and Afghanistan.  Perhaps
the school library community in the United States could find away to assist
these libraries.

Oliver Withstandley became the Associate Coordinator.

Fourteen state and provincial coordinators we added.  You can see their
names and schools at
http://www.corecollections.net/SL/state_coordinators.htm

We are still recruiting coordinators, with the goal of having one from each
state and country.  The coordinators check the links once or twice a year,
report inactive links and attempt to find new links and generally act as an
advocate for School-Libraries in their area.  Once we have more coordinators
we can start adding features such as school library/media certification
programs and a complete listing of state book awards.  Please volunteer by
contacting.  To join our team,  send an email to rbarber@hwwilson.com

*Web Site of the Month. http://www.gps.edu/pages/Library-Media-Services/*

It was a difficult choice to pick out one website from among  30 new sites
sent in this month, but the Lynn Hocker Holland Library at the Girls
Prepatory School in Chattanooga, jumped right out at us with its
organization and use of space and color.  Then there was their innovative
use of WORDLE and their use of Shelfari, a social network to publicize
books.  We all stopped work to play with WORDLE!
http://www.wordle.net/  Congratulations
Marty Vaughan and be sure to check out her newsletter
http://www.gps.edu/pages/Turn-The-Page/  We will see if we can develop a
special logo to honor our Web Site of the Month.

Best Lists.  For those of you interested in the latest best lists, I am now
handling them in two ways.  At the moment and probably through January and
the ALA best lists, I am reporting them weekly at
http://www.corecollections.net/new_best_lists.htm

Once a month I collect them and report in a newsletter, THE CORE
http://www.corecollections.net/newsletter.htm

--
Raymond W. Barber

rwbarber@gmail.com