Thanks for your feedback.

1) I have students in grades 1st - 12th (about 150 students). We have about 50
Playaways for all levels. Our school is for students with
reading/learning/attention challenges. Many students enjoy listening while they
read. (Some teachers prefer students to read while listening and others don't mind
if they just listen.) It helps them with vocabulary and comprehension too, as they
aren't struggling as much in sounding out the words.

Overall I love the Playaways and talk them up. I say how great they are because you
(the student) don't need to worry about a CD player or a
cassette player. (Many students have a long drive to school so they don't have to
worry if mom or dad's car has a CD/cassette player.) You just need some earbuds and
a battery and you are good to go. (By the way, I just started using rechargeable
batteries.) I have had a few stop working. It seems that the when the earbuds are
plugged in they won't work. I have been able to exchange them. I'm not sure if it's
the students who are causing the breakage or a "factory" defect. I buy from
Follett. I have bought a few from Recorded Books too. I did buy 1 speaker for
teachers to use in the classroom too.

2) I've ued Playaways in both a small middle school library & a large high school
library. In the middle school, I inter-shelved them with the books & they were
popular with above level students.  Below level students need the book AND the
audio together.  If they are your target, be sure that you have both.  Titles are
being added all the time; you can't find EVERYTHING, but there are tons ofchoices
available.  I purchase mostly from Follett's Titlewave collection, and they offer
earbuds  @ 50 for $39.  Rather than use my time cleaning headpones/earbuds, I sell
the earbuds for $2 each (at the middle school, I sold them for $1 each).  At the
high school, I house the Playaways in a back office & students have to request them
at the circ desk.  That's mostly to save shelf space.  Good luck with your decision.

3) I highly recommend Playaways! I do have parents sign an additional permission to
borrow because they are so costly. I did purchase them with the intent of having
them for strugglers, but all students love them.  They have also turned on some of
those reluctant readers.  I do put paperbacks and playaways in a bag so the
students can see it as well as hear it.  Love them!

4) I bought a bunch of them -- they are hardly ever used.   THought they'd be a hit
-- so far, not so much

5) In terms of range of titles, it's improving all the time. You can check them out
on Follett's Titlewave.
In terms of durability, we have been pleased so far: not many problems. However,
they do take some extra work and time. We bought a battery charger and recyclable
batteries, and take the batteries out when they are returned. We put newly charged
batteries in when they are checked out. We have found this easier than having to
check the battery level of each playaway as it is checked out. It also takes a
little time to make sure that the  Playaway is at the beginning when it is checked
out. We bought cheap earphones, and clean the earphones when they are returned,
replacing them when they break.

6) We have had a great experience with the playaways ... the kids LOVE them (3rd
through 5th grade).

So far the only "issues" have been lost battery covers and lanyards. Small fine to
replace the items and they were out again!

I would suggest ...

*Plan for batteries. LOTS of batteries. The quick-charge have been the best for our
arrangement. It seems like we are always running out of charged batteries.
*I purchased paperbacks to go with most of the playaways. Teachers were much more
likely to support this "new" type of reading if the student was following along
with a print version.
*We kept the playaways behind the counter and just placed the empty boxes out on
the shelf. This did make for a little extra time to check them out ... if the kids
were there with their entire class we usually put a postit note on the playaway and
had them come back to pick it up later (or we'd deliver).
*Alchohol wipes to wipe down the earbuds. We always encouraged kids to use their
own if they had them.

7) Our Playaway collection is growing in size and popularity.  I find them
especially useful for struggling readers because students can slow down the pace of
the voice of the reader.  Due to the high replacement cost, students have to first
bring in a permission slip signed by a parent if they want to check one out.  Once
I get the signed slip, I place a note on their Destiny record so that it pops up
when they want to check one out.  They use their own earbuds or they can purchase a
set for $1.00 in the library.  I use rechargeable batteries, which must be returned
with the Playaway to avoid a $4.00 replacement fee.  We get most of our Playaways
and supplies from Follett.  Other than lost Playaways, the only other problem we've
had is that a student left one in her pants pocket which went through the wash.  We
use that story to warn kids each time we check one out.  This year, I also got
speakers so that teachers can play them to a whole group.  The other nice feature
of Playaways is that they can be bookmarked so that you can pick up where you left
off.  Playaways can also be plugged in to our listening stations with headphones,
which our Special Ed. teachers appreciate.
Best of luck to you.

8) I have had 6 for the past two years, and this is the first time kids have found
them, even though I showed them where they were. My third
graders are eating them up. But I only have 7 all together, so they are always out.
I do go through a lot of AAA batteries.

9) We have them and they eat the batteries up - negative.  but they are constantly
being checked out - positive - esp for the kids who like alternative reading
formats.

10) I just ordered two of them for a third grade teacher to try on two below level
readers but they will be kept in the classroom. At conferences, I think I heard
some talk about getting special paperwork signed by parents letting them know the
price if they are lost since they are very expensive. Follett gave me a print
catalog of Playaways which is easier to see than looking at the website...I think
that you could get a couple as a trial and then see if there is any grant money or
Title I money to get more b/c it will take quite a chunk out of the library budget.
They look sturdy etc...the kids need their own earbuds or else it's gross but
that's no big deal...I know the kids in Middle School would LOVE them, that I can
assure you of...you just have to be sure you have the matching books!

Mr. J. Vernacotola
Librarian, UL Light Middle School; Barberton, Ohio
https://sites.google.com/site/ullightlibrary/
jvernacotola@barbertonschools.org
330-848-4236 ext 15732