This was my question;

I have a chance to affect a student teacher. She approached me about
bringing in her class to do a report on an artist. We talked about having
good questions so that they think instead of just copy the information. This
is for a high school class.

If you have done something with  your art teacher on good questions for an
artist research project would you please share?

I didn't get to impact the project as much as I would have liked, there
wasn't much time. I am hoping I did make an inroad for another time.

Here are the responses.

Our art teacher has students do a section analyzing a painting/sculpture,
etc. by the artist.  They have to note techniques,
color themes, patterns, etc.

Have each student add a picture of one work to a "collection" from the
class. Each student then would describe a creation by the artist in words,
include color(s), medium,  subject, technique etc  Then have others find the
work in the  "collection"
Students could also write about/discuss how the artist's life helped shape
the creation they use in their example.

I would ask for a comparison type project.  The artist and the movement they
work in (or medium) then, ask if the artist is strongly affiliated with that
movement, work very identifiable.  Yes, no, why all that and supporting
facts to prove their decision.

Identify the movement this artist is associated with and point to specific
elements that appear in his works that are representative of that movement.
(For example, Dali is a surrealist.  His works have surreal elements like
"melted" clocks, etc.  Van Gogh is an impressionist.  In "Starry Nights" you
can see the individual brush strokes daubbed on suggestive of....)

Discuss events/people/experiences in the artist's life that influenced his
work, and give specific examples of how they are reflected. (Is there a
reason Degas was hung up on ballerinas?  O'Keefe and her flowers?    Why did
this artist do nothing but portraits/landscapes/seascapes/still lifes?  Was
the author obsessed with death/nudes/dogs, etc., and why?)

Select three of your artist's works and point out the similarities in them
that are indicative of this artist's style.  (Why is it that I can look at a
painting and say "That's a Renoir!" or "That's a Rembrandt!" without seeing
a signature?)

How is the artist's work a reflection of the society/world/time he lived in?
(Picasso's "Guernica" as a statement on the Spanish Civil War; The Council
of Trent's decree addressing the use of religious art;  art as social
protest?)

Choose one of the artist's paintings and write a "back story" for it. Use
your imagination to explain why the "characters" are pictured in this
particular setting, what they were doing before they got here, and where are
they going and what are they going to do next.  Be sure to incorporate as
many details from the painting in your story as you can. Pay attention to
the mood reflected in the work.  Based on the artist's use of light and
color, will your story be scary?  Happy?  Melancholy?
Adventurous?

Is nature/mythology/religion reflected in your artist's work, and how? Why
do you think so?  (Religious patronage?  Art as instruction or allegory? Was
your artist personally a religious person? Nature loving person?)

Did your artist choose his own compostions, or was he commissioned to paint
specific subjects?  If you wanted your portrait painted, would you
commission YOUR artist, or someone else?  What WOULD you commission your
artist to paint, based on his strengths as an artist?

What is the "mood" of your favorite work by your artist?  How does he
utilize multiple artistic techniques to convey that mood?  (If the painting
is scary or ominous, how do the colors used contribute to that fear?  The
use of light and darkness or shadows?  The intensity of the brushstrokes?
The subject matter?  Details in the composition?)

What artists who preceded your artist influenced him and his art?  Which
artists who followed him were influenced by him?  Is there a lasting inpact
on today's art because of your artist's work?  Where/how?

Pretend your artist must choose three close friends from various fields
(art, architecture, dance, literature, music, philosophy, religion, politics
and government, theater, etc.)  With whom would he choose to hang out?
Select only one person from each realm of endeavor, and remember, they must
be contemporaries of your artist.  WHY would they be friends, and what would
they discuss?

Flip through magazines and find a current advertisement that could have been
created by your artist if he'd been alive today.   (look for
advertisements/pictures that have elements of the artist's style or
technique.)

Deborah Stafford
deborah.stafford@eu.dodea.edu
Wiesbaden HS