I received several suggestions which I have listed below but the simplest one is to
plug the
cassette recorder into the computer via the headphone jack to the audio in line and
convert files
that way using the free download from Audacity.com.

Other suggestions were
Some mp3 players have voice recording facilities

Flip camera

Digital Voice Recorder
It was 40.00 (Canadian) and we purchased the Olympus brand (purchased from London
Drugs) in December
08.  Runs on 2 AAA batteries.

http://www.tribler.org/trac/wiki/PiratesSamaritans

"Schools who have tons of cassette-tape music etc have always been able to plug the
headphone socket
of their cassette players into their computer's audio-line-in socket, and re-record
those cassette
tapes in digital format Now there's a machine that will do it for you:
www.alesis.com/tapelinkusb

'The new Alesis TapeLink is a dual cassette deck with a U.S.B. plug. You connect to
a computer, play
a tape, and the included software cleans and categorizes the audio automatically.
It outputs the
audio at CD quality, (although the audio coming off the tapes might be at lower
quality) and
includes noise-reduction systems to ensure a clean transfer .. The deck works with
Macs and PCs and
has software that will clean up the audio."

Thanks for all of these - it has sorted something bothering me for ages.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630