periods, I received the following responses.
What I ended up doing is finding out what upcoming research projects that the
students will be working on and using that as a sample that they are to keep for
when the actual research starts. We went over Steps 1—3. I discussed steps 4-6
but didn't get into them too much. I will build on this lesson when the actual
research starts. I also had time to do an everyday info-seeking skill using Big6. I
saw the show buying lesson on the Big6 website, but instead of shoes, we were
looking for an MP3 player. I used that because I thought the kids could relate to
it better, but they were getting a little hyper about it. Could be that it was
right after lunch and the sugar was kicking in!

I am teaching this to another class tomorrow and think I will do the same re: the
upcoming research, but then I will do a brief overview of web evaluation instead of
the everyday information seeking activity.

Thanks for all the hits!!
HERE IS MY ORIGINAL POST:
Hello all!
I have started a research skills class with 6th graders in my school. I have
already taught them about our online card catalog and an intro to Dewey
Decimal.

I will have them for 2 more one-hour long sessions and want to get into
research using the Big6 method. I am thinking about having them do a
mini-research project in the Library on a fun subject (= more interest) to
learn the Big6 method. I have some handouts that I've already developed
based on the 6 steps with room to write on. I would like to cover book
resources (how to use - quick overview), website evaluation and MLA
formatting, then let them loose to do their research.

Does anyone do anything similar that they could share with me? Am I being
overly-optimistic that this can all be covered in 2 hours? Would it be weird
just to have them do the research portion and leave that with me to review
(no final project). There is no grading for this assignment. Also, any
suggestions as to good topics for 6th graders?

Any help will be appreciate and I will post a HIT.

The "banana split" project on the Big 6 website is a classic and a fun
way to get the started.

Hello--
I remember the final project in my Library Skills (I think that's what it was
called) class in 8th grade was to create a bibliography of sources that we would
use to complete a research project on an area of interest. We didn't actually have
to write a paper or create anything besides a properly-formatted bibliography. I've
been playing with doing something similar now, as I've found my students (who are
in high school but, sadly, have had minimal research instruction) get bogged down
with the shear size of a research project--and really, the skills I want them to
focus on are finding and evaluating sources and learning how to cite them.
I'm not sure this could all be covered in two hours, but I think it's worth a shot
(I know I never have a sense of how long something truly takes until I've piloted
it a couple times--and once you've done it you'll know how to tweak it to make it
work).
Good luck!

Hi:
OK--I don't know how big your class is, but when I did this with
our 6th and 7th graders last semester it took me 2 class periods of 50
minutes each just to cover the Big 6 and actually get it ingrained
into them what they had to do.
They each drew a subject out of a hat (the teacher had assigned
them a project on Medieval England and they had to pick one of those)
and then I had them work on thinking of the questions they may want to
ask...thinking of the various sources that may be available (we went
over OPAC and table of contents and indexes of books, etc.), then they
had to brainstorm a bit with a friend about ways that they may be able
to do the project itself since she wanted more than just a written
report.
We did finally get to working, but only after lots of
preparation and then we didn't have time for much website evaluation
though I don't do a lot of that. Our computer teacher spends a ton of
time working on that with them so I basically just remind and
reinforce as they are looking at their sites. Because I only have 3
computers in the library, the kids had to take turns also working with
books and encyclopedias and I told them they should save their
internet for home since most of them do have computers at home and I
wanted them to realize that they should use the sources that were only
available to them at school, at school. Guess it shows my age that I
see them spending hours "working" on the internet and only have about
3 notecards with information by the end of it and think they can do
that at home. I am the same way--I can spend hours and have nothing to
show for it so it isn't just them.
Don't know if any of that was helpful or just me rambling,
but to sum up I would say that you should probably scale back a bit on
your plans. Better to be overprepared, of course, but don't feel bad
if you don't cover it all.
check archives too.

I do a large project with our 6th grade that is similar to what you want to
do. They research a topic of their choice using the Big 6 method. It is a
summation of everything they have learned K-6 so they must find multiple
sources, evaluate them, take notes, create a bibliography, and evaluate the
process (we just never do write the paper). Last year we did create some
fun PowerPoint presentations. I do take much more than 2 hours (we work on
it during library class (40 min/week) for about 10-12 weeks. I have them do
a number of steps for the process and would be more than willing to share
some of my resources for those steps if you are interested. It would not be
possible to do anything in this much depth in 2 hours but you could maybe do
a smaller, yet similar project.
It is very optimistic to introduce Big 6 and have them practice any of it in 2
hours. You didn't say anything about notetaking. You may want to check their notes
(I give them a rubric with four points for self-evaluation--Are the notes short and
sweet, are they cited from a reputable source, are they in the students own words,
and do they have a heading. Do they do these four steps all of time, some of the
time, or none of the time?) This gives them practice in Big 6, #6.

I simplify MLA citation by providing sheets for them to fill out so they know what
information is needed in order to cite. Another time, we take it from just the
sheet to creating a works cited. Each place they take notes then "codes" A for the
first source, B for the second, so they don't have to keep writing down the source
information.

I don't believe you have enough time to do a paper, speech or poster. I would stick
to notecards and have students share around the table what they learned.

How much info do they already know in terms of researching from start to finish?

Here is my favorite Big 6 lesson, which focuses on introducing and the importance
of Step 1.

I am very into kinestehtic learning, so to begin with, I model each of the steps.
Then they divide a piece of paper into six and write each step on one piece. We
practice arranging them in order. I give them examples, and they hold up the step
they believe it is. Then I give them a task. The entire class is to hit a target. I
don't tell them what the target is (I have the steps on the wall and it is always
Task Definition). They take one of the six pieces of paper, crumple it up and on
the count of three throw it at what they think the target is. For each of the 6
rounds (one for each paper) the students may ask one or two yes/no questions in
order to determine what the target is. I do state at the beginning that it is not a
person. This helps them narrow their field of target choices, and I scan to make
sure no one hits the target. If they do, I let them know how many passed. They need
to use their questioning to get everyone to hit the target.

Afterward, we pick up and recycle all of the chances, whether they were successful
or not, we talk about really making sure of what is expected out of them. What is
the teacher really looking for? Do they understand the steps? If not, what do they
have to do to make sure they understand?

This teaches questioning, and gives them hands on practice to make sure they
understand the importance of finding all about the task.

I hope this helps.

If you have questions, feel free to e-mail or call back.