What percentage of the article can be edited at any one time?
Let's say it is 5%.
Is it possible to make a series of edits, so that 20 edits later, the
entire article would be totally changed?
It seems to me that the "small edits"  policy is an advantage, a
strategy to prevent wholesale ransacking of controversial articles.  I
think the "small edits" procedure is essential to preserve the integrity
of the system.
Personally, I have been amazed by how up-to-date some of the edits are.
I might be watching a championship boxing match on HBO on a Saturday
night and discover that the winner of the bout has already been noted in
the article on the boxers involved within a few hours after the fight
has ended.
These edits are, indeed, small but sufficient to keep the articles current.

Gordon Walter
Retired AGWSR School Librarian
101 Hilltop Drive
Ackley, Iowa  50601