From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Toni Koontz
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 11:29 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Why NOT Wikapedia

Well, I had a fellow librarian tell me this event concerning Wikipedia.
She had a coming in to do research on WWII. Two other students, who knew
of
the impending assignment,  went into Wikipedia and changed the names of
some
of the German military leaders to teachers and others in the school.
They
also changed some of the dates.  When the class came in to do the
research,
some of them blithely used Wikipedia despite the warnings.  When their
first
draft papers were submitted they were very surprised to find that  they
had
a lot of red circles and a note to do better research.  They complained
the librarian, because they said they had only used the information they
had
found during her research time.  She went on Wikipedia to check and
found
the incorrect info.  They then were made to sit down and use the
acceptable
sites she had bookmarked as starting points for the class and to
re-write
their first draft.  She printed the incorrect info from Wikipedia and
uses
it as an explanation of why no teacher in her school will accept
Wikipedia
as a source.  She eventually tracked down the culprits who did all the
changing and made them re-edit the article to her satisfaction - along
with
spending a few days in after-school detention for using the school
computers
to create problems for others.

Toni Koontz
Librarian