These are both interesting viewpoints. I am one of the people who
tells students to use an encyclopedia (including wikipedia) if
necessary to find keywords and ideas, and to then research more deeply
and not cite encyclopedias. Wikipedia can also be a good source for
authoritative sources, if the page is well footnoted. But then we tell
the students not to include these sources in their bibliographies, as
we only want to see their authoritative sources. Tom is right - that
is ignoring a part of the research process. How then (and this is
basically for Tom) would you deal with truly non-authoritative
websites?  What if a student goes to a random Geocities site and finds
accurate information that is supported by other, more authoritative
sites? Would you include the "bad" research sites along with the
"good" ones because they were part of the process?

For my part I think I will stick to teaching students to only include
sites that we (the students, teacher and I) have deemed reliable. We
do a unit on source authority in US History that plays into this idea
though: students have to create a "good" bibliography, using
authoritative sources, and a "bad" bibiography, using lesser sources.
The bibs are on opposite sides of a page; the students then exchange
papers, determine which side is the less authoritative bib, and find
better sources for each others' topics. The assignment is called "Born
to Be Bad." The kids enjoy the intellectual challenge - it went over
very well this year.

I know there is a need to continually revisit the Wikipedia issue, as
our view of source authority will continue to change as information
flows ever more freely. It's so interesting!!!

Cathy
Cathy Rettberg
Head Librarian, Menlo School
Atherton, CA