 Thank you to everyone who sent suggestions for my daughter and her assignment.  I
left out some crucial points--her age, the fact that it had to be non-fiction.
She is reading it for a college audiology class.
This list, which includes fiction and non-fiction, is terrific, and might just be
helpful to someone else.

Elizabeth Kamke, Librarian
St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute
845 Kenmore Avenue
Buffalo, NY  14223
eksk476@aol.com

I am not sure how old your daughter is but you might try Rules which was a Newberry
Honor book. The narrator is a girl whose brother is autistic. It is very good.
There is an adult title The curious incident of the dog in the night time and the
narrator is autistic.

How about:

Thinking in pictures : and other reports from my life with autism /Temple Grandin

The game of my life : a true story of challenge, triumph, and growing up autistic /
Jason "J-Mac" McElwain with Daniel Paisner.

Emergence : labeled autistic / Temple Grandin and Margaret M. Scariano

There’s a boy in here / Judy Barron and Sean Barron

Look me in the eye : my life with Asperger’s / John Elder Robison

I am in the process of reading Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison who has
Asperger's. There is also Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs who also
suffered from Asperger's.

You were looking for a book about autism, but there is a really good book, “Stuck
in Neutral” by Terry Tr
ueman about a boy who was born without any ability to speak or communicate at all
because he was born with Cerebral Palsy.  This is a YA book and the students loved
it.  Hope this helps.

My daughter has Asperger's and I have read several good books.  One is "All Cats
Have Asperger's"-a very simple picture book explaining the syndrome.  Also "The
curious Incident of the Dog in the Night" is about

a fiction novel about a teenage boy with Asperger's-very realistic.  I haven't
read it yet, but there is another called "Freaks, Geeks and "...I can't remember
the rest, but it is written by a teenager with Asperger's also.  Not quite autism,
but close.

I have a brother with
autism.  I enjoyed thoroughly the following books:

Born on a blue day : inside the extraordinary mind of an autistic savant :
a memoir  Tammet, Daniel.

The curious incident of the dog in the night-time  Haddon, Mark. (fiction)

"The Curious Incident of
the Dog in the Night-time" has an autistic narrator. It is fiction,
but is supposed to be a great portrayal of autism.

What about Rules by Cynthia
Lord it is written from a sister's perspective of growing up with an autistic
brother -- really good

You didn't mention an age level, and you'll probably get multiple  recommendations
for this one, but _The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time_, by Mark
Haddon, is fantastic for abou
t 8th grade and up.  It's first person narrated by an autistic teenager.

http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/index.php/cat/autism
is a site that our EC program has used to order materials for their Autism
collection.

There's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the
Night-Time" which gives a really good first-person account from the
perspective of an autistic person.

I'd also recommend "Rules" by Cynthia Lord.  It's written from
the perspective of girl whose brother has autism--she creates rules for him
about how to interact with the world in a "normal" way.  There's
also a character who is a nonverbal paraplegic who communicates with a book of
pictures.

If she's looking for non-fiction you might want to check out the works of Temple
Grandin;
she's autistic and has written a few books. I haven't read anything by her, so
I can't recommend a particular title, but I've always been riveted by her when
I hear her interviewed.

I have read a lot about autism.  The best first person account I can think of are
those books written by Temple Grandin, she has autism, and also has a doctorate and
works with animals.

Her two books I would reccomend are: Thinking in Pictures, Expanded Edition: My
Life with Autism

ISBN: 978-0307275653 and The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's
ISBN: 978-1932565720

Fiction: London
Eye Mystery, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Speed of Dark
Autobiography:
My Thirteenth Wint
er, Animals in Translation (and others by Temple Grandin)

Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby

There is a great one on hearing impairments that I got years ago.  "What is that
Pig Outdoors?" is the title.  I can't remember the author.