Thank you to everyone who responded so quickly to my need for PreK
lessons!  There were some great ideas-I think I am going to try to do
centers-I'm not much of a singer or puppet kind of person!
Here are the responses:

Subscribe to Enchanted Learning.com for many good ideas and Mother
Hubbard too.
I've been doing PreK for three years.  Every August the teacher gives me
a calendar of what her focus is every week.  So I come up with a book
and a little song or poemy-type recitation which involves movement for
them...  I can usually put it together in 10 minutes using google.

I just bought a set of Mother Goose Rhyme time books from Highsmith
(Upstart) I bought all three sets which includes a book (6 nursery
rhymes in each) a poster with the rhyme and the cutouts.  Lots of ideas
on how to use, including variations, hand movements and craft ideas. I
started using last month with Headstart and PreK and they love it.  I do
this in addition to reading and checking out the Board books that I put
out especially for them.
http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/ict/mouseskills/barnaby.html
http://www.meddybemps.com/
http://www.littlegiraffes.com/colors.html
http://www.eduplace.com/shapebook/
http://www.earobics.com/gamegoo/gooey.html
http://www.gryphonhouse.com/activities/index.asp?bookid=14658&actmax=15
www.kindercritters.com
http://www.kindersite.org/Directory/DirectoryFrame.htm
http://www.kindersite.org/
http://www.kizclub.com/index.html
http://www.starfall.com/
http://www.thekidzpage.com/learninggames/shelfshapes.htm
http://www.flannelboard-stories.com/index.html
http://teachers.net/lessons/posts/3834.html
http://www.literacycenter.net/lessonview_en.htm#
http://www.mikids.com/
http://www.fastq.com/~jbpratt/education/theme/mitten.html
http://www.cogcon.com/gamegoo/games/pawpark2/pawpark2.html
http://www.preschooleducation.com/art33.shtml
http://www.preschoolrainbow.org/transition-rhymes.htm
http://www.sesameworkshop.org/home
http://www.songsforteaching.com/
http://www.storyplace.org/preschool/activities/monkey.asp?themeid=1
http://www.storyplace.org/preschool/other.asp
http://www.literacycenter.net/parents_teacher/writing_center.htm#
I know that I have sites with lessons on my laptop at home, but these
should give you a head start. There is a great site if you live in Texas
through the Houston Children's Museum, but can not find the site right
now.  Para Los Nino's is the name of it. books to read and lesson plans
and all.

check archives, too. use Pre-K........prekindergarten.....preschool.

Finger plays, movement and songs, there are many books that are songs or
good for that.  Rat-atat-tat comes to mind and the Grand Old Duke of
York.  Try the Wee Sings series, too
I'm a student teacher-librarian  but as a former public librarian and
parent of four kids who spent about ten years attending story times by
OTHER public librarians...and learning so much in the process...

I think a great resource to design your class visits is to attend public
library storytimes.  I don't know what your public library is like but
most of ours have Saturday and/or Sunday story times.  A few even have
them in the evening.

With preschool it all centers around songs, fingerplays, action, flannel
boards and picture books.  Having themes helps a lot as well.

30 minutes is still about 10 minutes too long.  Can you do 20 minutes
and use the other ten for book check out?

we use SFA (reading program) at our school and I just finished sketching
out our year-long lessons that tied into their SFA themes.  Almost all
of my lessons have a handout (pictures or letters) and I let each have
his/her turn telling what's on his/her handout.  I'm attaching my
lessons (such as they are) for you to use if you want.
You'd obviously have to make your own handouts - anything that calls for
an animal, I use those zoopal plates.  We sing a song when they come in
and a song when they go.  (And sometimes they like to sing it over and
over!) This will take up about 25 minutes.  Then when you collect
everything, and line them up, you've gotten 30 mintues! :) AND if a
story runs short, I'll do two... that's why they are clumped in theme
units, so they'll at least have that common thread!

Enter Songs:  (tune of Row Row Row your boat) Read, read, read a book,
Beginning to the end, what a way to spend the day, this book's our
special friend

(tune of Take me out to the ball game)
Take me out to the library
Take me there and you'll see
All of the books that I love to read.
You don't know how happy I'll be.
'Cause it's read, read, read in the library.
Fact or Fiction let's go!
Libraries!  Libraries!  Wonderful places Where lots of books let us
grow!

(tune of if you're happy and you know it) If you're ready for a story,
find a seat!
If you're ready for a story, find a seat!
If you're ready for a story, check your hands and then your feet.
If you're ready for a story find a seat!

Exit Songs:  (Barney Song)
I love you!  You love me!
We're a happy family!
With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you!
Won't you say you love me too?

(Up on the housetop)
Now is the time to say goodbye
My how fast the time did fly.
Our time is done so we must say
"Goodbye, friend!" and go away.

(seven dwarves song)
Hi Ho! Now it's time to go!
We'll come again and read again!
But now, it's time to go Hi Ho! (repeat ad nauseum) ;)

an answer is activity centers- ask the sp.ed. teacher for some
blocks,gather some simple puzzles and games and get started. (a
simple,cheap puzzle is a pretty picture,mouted on heavier board and cut
into a few pieces. ) Matching cards is fun,like simple card games, but
even just pairing  number or face cards can be fun, too. make a coloring
station from some coloring books or from some author's website. Show a
video every 4th week or so- once you get started a million ideas will
flow- a dishpan makes a good sand/ rice table -practice filling plastic
toys of all types put a funnel out,sometimes,to make this more
interesting. etc,etc. save story time till almost the end,in case
fatigue sets in or have an art activity that goes along with the
story,to fill up the time.  HAVE FUN !!!

Caitlin Hooker
PreK-8 Librarian
St. Gabriel's Catholic School
Austin, Texas