Greetings from DC!

Over on ResourceShelf (http://www.resourceshelf.com) we just linked to
a new research paper placed online in the past day or so. I thought
would be of interest to some of you. It was co-authored by researchers
at the University of Maryland and Google.

Title: How Children Search the Internet with Keyword Interfaces

 From the Abstract:
"Children are among the most frequent users of the Internet, yet
searching and browsing the web can present many challenges. Studies
over the past two decades on how children search were conducted with
finite and pre-determined content found in CD-ROM applications, online
digital libraries, and web directories. However, with the current
popularity of the open Internet and keyword-based interfaces for
searching it, more critical analysis of the challenges children face
today is needed. This paper presents the findings of our initial study
to understand how children ages 7, 9, and 11 search the Internet using
keyword interfaces in the home. Our research has revealed that
although today?s children have been exposed to computers for most of
their lives, spelling, typing, query formulation, and deciphering
results are all still potential barriers to finding the information
they need."

ResourceShelf post:
http://bit.ly/U01Hs

Direct to Abstract: