Thank you to all who took the time to respond. I received many replies within 24
hours, and if I receive any additional I will be sure to post an additional hit.
My original request:
I have been at a small charter school for the past 2 months. Now that I have gained
my footing , I realize that the children in 3rd grade are going off to their local
school districts next year with very little in the way of library skills. I am the
first full time librarian at the school. These children have not had library for
their entire elementary school experience . Since the school is so small , the
circulation system is loaded on one computer in the library ( that shares space
with gym class, and as the school cafeteria). I go into the classroom for lessons,
so they do not even find their own books on the shelves. If they did have this
opportunity , the cataloging system ( which does serve ) is not completely
functional either: there are very few non-fiction books and they are simply
cataloged as " non-fiction" not by Dewey classification. ( I have many long term
goals to correct these short comings , but what to do in the mean time?)

What do you suggest are the skills they must have when I send them off in June?

These are the skills I would concentrate on:
-alphabetical order skills
-identifying key words in statements and questions
-the definition of genre and different types of genre (fantasy, science
fiction, realistic fiction, horror, mystery, comedy, historical fiction)
-distinguishing between fiction and non-fiction and fact and opinion
-knowing what it means to be an author
-knowing what it means to be an illustrator and being able to discuss
how the pictures are created as well as how they enhance the story
-if you bring books via a cart, try to have them labeled with call
numbers and teach the children how to use the spine labels to put the
books in order (if they can put them in order, that should translate
later on to them being able to find books if they have a call number)
-how and when to use the five main reference books: dictionary,
thesaurus, encyclopedia, almanac and atlas
-discussion of what a "reference" book is and why it does not circulate
-proper book care and handling
-why it is important to return books on time
-major awards: Caldecott and Newbery
-what it means to plagiarize and how to avoid it (taking notes on simple
reading in their own words and citing the source in a very basic way)
-how to do basic research (I like to use the Big6 information skills to
teach this- or Big3 depending on the readiness of the group)
-how to use an index
-how to use a glossary
-how to use a table of contents
-if you have access to a computer and a projector I would also cover how
to use a database, basic web page evaluation skills (I have a system
called THINK that stands for: T=today's date or one recent within two
years, H=has an author that you have heard of before or can verify, I=
is the same information found in print resources, N=no sign of
advertising or asking for money and K=do all or most of the links work.
The idea is to be able to answer yes to all of the questions...two or
more "no" answers means you should probably avoid the site) and and the
pros and cons of using webpages versus a database.

Hope you find this list helpful!  Good luck!

I would make sure they know the basics: author, illustrator, publisher,
title page, copyright page (they'll need this for bibliographies). Even
though they don't look for their own books, you can teach them the Dewey
system and have them practice writing Dewey numbers. And of course, the
various genres of books. Contact the local school districts and see what
will be expected of them.

Can you find out what is expected of them when they go to the other school?
That is where I would start.

If there are computers in the classroom, I would have them access any local
library's catalog.  Teach them how to do a title, subject, author and key word
search.  Have them look at different catalogs.  Have them find out which one they
like better? Why.

One thing I used to do with my 3rd grade students  when I had them on a regular
basis was this.  Together we would create a list of items they might find in their
bedroom, or their space at home.
This list might include different toys, puzzles, books audio-visual equipment etc.
  After we made the list, we put them all in groups.  It always was an ah ha moment
for them to figure out that is how the library is organized.  That is easy one to
do and doesn't need much equipment.

You might want to purchase Mr. Crumb's Secret by Perry, it comes with research
lesson plans.  Easy atlas, almanac, encyclopedia, etc. tasks.  It is available
through Upstart (part of Highsmith)
http://www.highsmith.com/upstart/search/Mr.%20Crumb's%20secret/A-Fribble-Mouse-Library-Mystery-Mr-Crumbs-Secret-Additional-Chapter-Books-c_21711186/
. there is order in the library- ABC for authors in easy/fiction, numbers in Dewey
2. one can find out where something is by using the catalog- practice with free
phones books :) have them look up something every week in the yellow pages to
practice finding information

3. the parts of the book- read aloud eavh week and point out the parts of the book
(I did this from K up) spine, cover, call number -

4. the infornation on a title page- read aloud each week and note the author who
writes the book, the illustrator who draw2s the pictures, the publisher who makes
the book and the title the name of the book

# 3 & 4 can be incorporated into reading aloud each time-

I'm not sure what resources you have, the last grade I have on a fixed
schedule is the 3rd grade (starting in 4th they go to flex and I rarely
see them).  I make sure that in 3rd grade they start to learn about
researching.  We have lessons about encyclopedias, databases, thesaurus,
dictionary and the atlas.  I also do lessons on the OPAC so they know how
to search for a book on their own.  I also do author studies and genre
studies, so they can start to develop an understanding for what type of
books they like to read.  We also do brief biography lessons.

With the limitations on your resources, I would suggest they have lessons on how to
use the information found in a reference and non-fiction book.  For example, where
to locate the table of contents and the index, as well as how to use both.

I also received a checklist of skills as an attachment that will be very helpful.

Belinda Rusnock
Librarian
Vitalistic Therapeutic Charter School and Center
Bethlehem, PA
br711@rcn.com