From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Sharron McElmeel
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 12:17 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] OT: Goats? Farmers out there?

Liz,
So you and Richie may be two of the few people of my acquaintances
who really understand our family quip "sounds like a goat roping"
when referring to something that is much more trouble than it seems
to be worth in the end.  My husband uses it often, especially when
"I" am planning an extended family get-together - -a lot of   work
and lasts just one day.
Although I was the daughter of farmers we never raised goats -- the
knowledge came when my reclusive farmer uncle came to live with us
(as a terminal cancer patient) and my husband (and sons/daughters)
had to round up his goats for auction.  Certainly not like rounding
up cattle or even pigs -- goats do not "herd" well.  They ended up
having to rope many of them.
I don't think I know of any child/ya lit books that include any real
descriptions of goat behavior.  The closest might be G Is for Goat by
Patricia Polacco; but most interesting during this season of gracious
giving is Beatrice's Goat by Page McBrier and Lori Lohstoeter.

And actually my uncle would have been more akin to the Goat Man in
Betsy Byar's After the Goat Man, except that Uncle Arnie had 100 or
so goats -- same disposition, type of home, -- all that he was
lacking would have been the controversy regarding the disposition of
his land.
Happy New Year to all -- and thanks Liz for reminding me of a
wonderful memory of a unique and interesting man, my Uncle Arnie.
Sharron

Liz.fox@lincoln.k12.or.us (schooldays only)
--
===============
Sharron L. McElmeel  http://www.mcelmeel.com

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562  VOICE
fax (319) 393-4749

NEW:  Authors in the Pantry: Recipes, Stories, and More (Libraries
Unlimited); Authors in the Kitchen: Recipes, Stories, and More
(Libraries Unlimited, 2005), Best Teen Reads 2007 (HiWillow), and
Young Adult Literature and Multimedia, 2nd ed. (HiWillow, 2006)

Author of  Children's Authors and Illustrators Too Good to Miss
(Libraries Unlimited); 100 Most Popular Children's Authors (Libraries
Unlimited), 100 Most Popular Picture Book Authors and Illustrators
(Libraries Unlimited), Character Education: A Book Guide for
Teachers, Librarians, and Parents (Libraries Unlimited) and other
titles (http://www.mcelmeel.com/writing).