 Hi Everyone!
Thank you to all of you provided me with Library Behavior Lessons or Ideas. I
really
appreciate it. Here is the responses I recieved from those who responded:

1 - I use The Shelf Elf by Jackie Mims Hopkins with my second and third graders. I
read the book and then we discuss the rules of the library and how to respect the
library. I find that role playing works well with this, not only do they get to
hear the rules from you but they get to act out the correct and incorrect ways to
follow the library rules and manners. I then tie this into a year long behavior
system with rewards. I tell them that they can win the golden shelf elf award (I
went to the craft store and got materials to make my own), and I also made a
behavior chart. I explain to the students that each class that they follow the
rules and use their library manners they will get a star. What ever class in that
grade level that has the most stars at the end of the quarter, wins the golden
shelf elf award, gets their picture taken as a class with it and the picture is
displayed in the library. I have also started to incorporate (my students are a
 little rambunctious and need constant reminders of good behavior) for every 5
stars in a row they will have a fun reward. I plan on doing a popcorn party or a
fun video (like reading rainbow). THey love the idea- even if its still educational
2-Have you tried the marble jar.  In the early 80's this was the reward
system.  When the jar is full of marbles they (The class gets a surprise. I
had too many classes and was the PE teacher.  I used a chart with squares
and when the square were full they got a cupcake party at lunch.  Next time
it was something else.  Yes I know about the regulations in Texas about what
you can reward with.  Check out Oriental trading Post for cheap!!!!!!!!
Little things.

When someone in the class preformed a behavior I liked I gave then a smile
face stamp.  I had 2 or three classes lining up at the same time.  The class
in line, facing the front and quite 1st always got a stamp.  We had about 25
classes.  We had 2 teachers that did not use the marble jar.  It took their
kids until the first cupcake party to get the idea.  I never took marbles
away.

I was outside most days.  I taped a poster to a cart that I used for a
portable office.  I had a smile face stamp in Red and Blue.  I used blue the
first time if I had a class or two that were better behaved I would start
them over in the other color so I did not have to redo the chart as often.

3-
My experience has taught me to make the students more invested in your library and
they will take care of the library and enjoy you more.  I would start by reading
the book The Library Dragon by Deedy.  Then I would have the three large pieces of
poster board and a marker.  I would have the students tell me what they think the
rules should be and write them on the poster board, you may need to get them
started.  Next, I would have the students tell me what the rewards should be for
good behavior, such as sitting on the couch, or sitting at a table with a puzzle,
or holding a stuff animal.    Then I would have the students help me with deciding
the consequences if someone did not behave.  Things like sitting at the regular
tables,  chair in the corner,  not checking out a book, or maybe a call home.  With
my middle school students I make them pull their own cell phone out and get a
parent on the phone.  One call home and I never have a
 problem.  This works for me.  I let my students help me file books, weed books,
order books.  When they pull up an order I have going on Title Wave and see the
cost, they are shocked.  The more they know and get involved the better they treat
the library, the books, and me. When all else fails you may have to be a library
dragon, but it doesn't happen often.

4- Sometimes it is the number of students who don't behave in a ratio to the ones
who do that tip a class.  I had an awful class for several months - and tried
various approaches.  Finally (I have the luxury of an aide) - I sent each student
who did not listen back to the tables to write rules of behavior.  By the end of
the class about 1/3 were writing rules.  I gave the teacher the papers.  They then
had to come in (arranged with teacher) as a group and make up the missed lesson.
The class has been great since then.  But, I have only 21 in the class and the
teacher had also been working on a classroom behavior chart.  I find students know
the correct behavior - they just don't think it applies to them!  (and in many of
their homes they have no rules)

Mary Soryal
Librarian
St. Dominic School