Hello all-

I am so excited and just had to share. This is my 3rd year in the high
school and our old Senior English teacher would hardly step foot in the
library. One of the other teachers is really structured in her curriculum
but will bring her students once or twice a year. The other English teacher
started when I did and loves to read. He has been very suportive and does
encourage kids to come down.

This is all about using the fiction section of the library and getting
students to keep reading.

Well the new Senior English teacher and head of the english department was
just here with her students. She was so amazed that the students are not
being encouraged more to come down. (Real brief history- before I came the
library did not really have a fiction section at all. It was not a place
the students or teachers wanted to be). I have totally redone the fiction
section and my circulation has went from 550 the year before I came to 2400
at the end of my 2nd year.

Even with all of the progress, this teacher is all gung-ho and is going to
send out a memo to the English department(we are a small school of 250 and
that consists of 3 teachers) about ways to make sure these students are
coming down and seeing all of the new books that I have here.

She was amazed that these students are not using the library more. So I am
so excited that she is going to push for the students to have better access
and more knowledge from at least the English teachers about the library.
She is bringing in 3 groups of students today and even if she doesn't make
it down again for awhile I know that those students will be told numerous
time about the library.

This may have rambled some but I am just so excited to have this kind of
cooperation and help from and English teacher.

Some days can really be productive and fun. Now I just need to get the 100
or so new fiction books out that I have sitting in my office.

Thanks for letting me share.

Joleen Waltman
Aberdeen High School
Librarian