For almost 15 years our K-12 district has used AR and SSR, even in the
high school.  After much debate (and you know the arguments, for and
against) the superintendent has decided we will drop the AR program and,
perhaps, SSR beginning next school year. This, of course, will greatly
affect the high school library in particular, as our high circulation is
mostly the result of required reading in ELA classes, and purchasing has
been driven as much by reading levels and engaging reluctant readers as
it has been by what's new and popular.

Before meeting with ELA teachers to discuss reading instruction in the
high school, my question to you is "what now?" I know some high schools
use reading lists, some keep SSR without a reading requirement involved
(not likely to happen here--admin. questions the value of "reading for
fun" on school time, though they do seem open to the idea of recommended
reading lists), and some (most?) have no school-wide reading requirement
or program beyond the guided classroom selections.

I know there are many ways to engage students voluntarily--book clubs,
reading circles, author visits, etc.--but I'd like to hear from schools
that have a school-wide requirement, since that is what the ELA meeting
will address. If your school has recommended grade-level lists, would
you mind sharing?

Thanks for any suggestions and/or advice!

Susan Solo
Library Media Center
Grass Lake High School
Grass Lake, MI 49240
solo@grasslakeschools.com

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the
set, I go into the other room and read a book.”

- Groucho Marx