Two absolutely beautiful books (from an adult point-of-view):
*Silent Music: a story of Bagdad by James Rumford and
*Wabi Sabi by Mark Reibstein/art by Ed Young
        I'm not sure how much young children will take away from these
books,  but as someone said, children are full of surprises.
Also:
*One Boy by Laura Vaccaro Seeger- what a simple, fascinating concept for a
book.  Seems like one that children would like to read again and again  and
then try to make up some words on their own.  Simple drawings but       so
intriguing!
*The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger- again, a simple concept but a way
        of presenting something ordinary (leaves, trees) in a new, artistic
way.
*We Are the Ship: the story of Negro League Baseball by Kadir Nelson- wow!
        What powerful illustrations!  Just a beautiful, high quality piece
of
        worthy literature.

I have seen ALL of these books mentioned on this very Listserv.  I am so
grateful to those of you who send these "lists" in- I take your list and go
to my local library website and have the books reserved for me!  This is a
wonderful way to keep up-to-date on all the new books out there (Newbery
contenders as well).
Thanks again to all of you who take the time- it benefits all of us!

Leslie Sharbel
Vestavia Hills Elementary Central
Birmingham, AL
sharbelle@vestavia.k12.al.us