A topic that has come up in the Board of Directors of American Association of
School Librarians is to develop a process for giving members and supporters a way
to leave money to AASL for a specified purpose. One of the things that has been
kicked around is the possibility of setting up a grant for research in the school
library profession. Off the top of our heads, we would like to be able to grant a
significant amount (oh, say, $25,000) for research.

We have a number of questions about this, of course.

-If one were to leave part of an estate to AASL, would something like helping to
fund research in the field be enough of a enticement for someone to follow through
with the gift?

-Do you think some other focus for gift-giving would be more critical and/or
appealing?

-Have you thought about making a professional organization part of your estate
planning before? I understand that NYLA (New York) has made some provisions for
this. I don't believe my state organization (Missouri) has addressed this issue.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. Hope your second semester has started well.

floyd pentlin

Floyd Pentlin, Adjunct Faculty
Library Science & Information Services
University of Central Missouri
Weblog - School Libraries: The Steak and the Sizzle: http://fpentlin.edublogs.org/
Treasurer, American Association of School Librarians, 2008-2011
UCM: 660.543.4910
Office: 4200B Lovinger
fpentlin@ucmo.edu

Home: 660.747.0683