Several days ago I posted and asked for examples of poor purchasing,
particularly regarding to technology equipment and software for schools. I
want to thank the many people who shared stories. I am choosing to laugh,
but really the amount of time, money, and good will that is wasted over bad
buying is really a sad saga. One interesting thing was how many people were
generous and confident enough to admit their own bad purchases as well as
relating those that took place elsewhere or were made by other people. To a
person, you do NOT want your names, towns, states, or any identifying
characteristics to be shared and I will NOT be doing that. The stories have
led me to some general points that I will share here as well as develop into
an article.

Items often named:

   - Laser disk players---These items were mentioned most, by people
   remembering back to the 90's. I am pretty sure I know the reason because we
   had the players at my school to use a program called "Windows on Science."
   Back then, it was touted as a great way to skip around and not have to fast
   forward or rewind as with video tapes. They were well used by our science
   teachers, at least some of them, but otherwise never, ever used. The
   technology was overtaken by CDs and now by online video. Actually I think
   people can forgive themselves for buying them. At the time, even with
   careful study, they seemed like wise purchases. Things just changed.
   - SmartBoards--Lots of schools rushed out and bought one for every single
   classroom. I think it is rare that one thing will resonate with every single
   person in any organization. This is even more true for teachers, whose
   subjects may call for vastly different approaches. Further, some people did
   buy them without realizing they had to buy projectors as well. Ooops.
   - After these two there were a variety of other things, including
   printers, cameras, laminators, etc.
   - The weirdest gizmo was something called a wax machine, which would
   (supposedly) apply wax to the back of posters, etc. so they could easily
   stick on walls. The humorous description of how they REALLY worked led me to
   agree that they are messy and even destructive. As an amusing sidelight, I
   suggest that if you are bored you just google the term "wax machine." You
   get lots of things OTHER than machines to stick posters on walls. In fact I
   did not find one reference for the poster hanging wax machine. I had no idea
   there were a plethora of different kinds of wax machines!

Why do bad purchases happen?

   - Buying in a hurry
   - Lack of training
   - One size fits all--buying in bulk
   - Not checking compatability
   - Not considering ancillary charges such as bulb expense, toner costs,
   etc.
   - Wrong person buying

How can we avoid bad buys? I have some ideas but would love additional
suggestions. Most of all, thanks so much to everyone who shared with me!
Regards, mabell

--

"Try Curiosity!"--Dorothy Parker