Wow - LOTS of good advice from everyone FAST.   I have gotten some very
negative comments, too, so I think I should've given you more background in
my query: one of my tech aides wants to bring his cat (about 12 weeks old, a
neutered male) in daily (he'd take it home every night.)  I have some
concerns, of course, but I wanted my aide to see some of your comments re:
training.  My aide felt that the cat would stay at my desk, but I think the
cat will do whatever he pleases (and many of you said as much). We don't
have air conditioning, so late in the year our outside doors are propped
open, and there's a busy street nearby.  I would worry about the cat getting
hit by a car if he decides to go exploring.

I also have 3 spayed female and 2 neutered male rescue cats at home and one
of them still sprays, though we have a very low-key farm lifestyle.  He's a
siamese, though, and probably just feels he's "communicating."

I highly doubt we will have the cat in the library, not just because of
allergies, but because there are 6 staff dogs in the school nearly every
day.  And, yes, our board policies officially say it's a building-by-
building decision.  Our principal says animals are OK if they are TRAINED
and not vicious in any way.  Yes, I could bring in my standard poodle...but
he's so huge that I would be stumbling over him all day long...

I have heard from quite a few of you who have a library cat and say it's
working well.  Several of you mentioned having a cat until you had a very
allergic patron and then you found another home for the cat until the patron
was out of your school.  One of you also sent a very helpful website about
cat allergies:  http://www.cat-world.com.au/Hypoallergenic.htm

BTW, my hubby was allergic to all sorts of animal dander, and for years had
to get shots, because he truly loves cats.  I think he became so
"inoculated" from our animals (we also have 4 dogs, 4 rabbits, and a guinea
pig INSIDE the house) that he's not showing any allergy symptoms anymore.
Ironically, we also have very few colds!

Thanks again for all the great feedback - you folks are AWESOME!

Elizabeth Fox, Media Assistant
Newport High School, Newport, OR
keokuk@casco.net (pm)
Liz.fox@lincoln.k12.or.us (schooldays only)