Several people asked that I post a hit. Thank you to those who shared their
resources. Please excuse any cross postings. Some of these came from LM_Net
Select. Here is what I received and found:

From Ellen Mendonca ~

Hi! My school principal has formed a committee to put together a package for the
staff.  We aren't done yet but are still gathering resources.  I've found lots of
stuff on the list servs and put them on my library wep page under "A New
Beginning".  You are welcome to check it out and copy and paste...

I also did a lesson with my 3rd and 5th graders.  This is how it went...

I handed out art paper, pencils and crayons.
Instructed the students to fold the paper in half.
I wrote on the board ~ Who's Who in the New Cabinet
The students wrote it on the front of their papers (and then wrote their name on
the bottom and their class)

Then... I asked ~ what's a cabinet?  What do you see (think of) when I say the word
"cabinet"?

The answers were great:  medicine cabinet, food cabinet, jewelry cabinet,
to name a few...

Then we drew a picture of the cabinet on the front of their paper.  (It came out
really cool.  Each student had their own idea and went with it!)

Then I went on to talk about the multiple meanings of words... in this case, the
cabinet are the people who work closely with the president.

We folded the paper in half (top to bottom) and then in half again (top to
bottom).  On the inside we now have 8 boxes that we further delineated by coloring
the lines.

In each box the kids wrote the name and postion of the President, Vice President
and 6 other cabinet members who need to be confirmed.

Once the kids had finished the outside cover and the inside lines, they used the
computer to search for the names and positions of the new cabinet.  It is on my web
page under ~ Hello Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

A number of kids got the hang of it and were able to help the others.  Almost
everyone finished.  It was very cool.

Next step is to do some research on the people themselves, or the position.

Example:  Who is Leon Panetta?

This is the first time in my life, that the kids actually know who the president
and vice-president elect are.

Check out the web page ~ I hope it helps.

<http://library.nycenet.edu/common/welcome.jsp;jsessionid=122CBDCCD08764CB09814EAD11B4D3C8?site=5165>

~ Ellen

Ellen Mendonca, SLMS
PS 269 Library Media Center
1957 Nostrand Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11210

Here are some Diigo bookmarks that Lucy Gray - a fabulous Ed Tech person in Chicago
- just put together. I  used some of these resources with a 6th grade class today!

http://groups.diigo.com/groups/k12elections
Received from - Laura Jean Moore

 Robert Joyce shared these:

Presidential Inauguration 09
The District of Columbia's 2009 presidential inauguration website "will assist you
in finding valuable information about the events surrounding the 56th Presidential
Inauguration, including lodging information, transportation, security measures and
closures." Also includes photos of past inaugurations, fun facts about the
inauguration, and links to related websites.
LII Item: http://lii.org/cs/lii/view/item/27208

The White House Transition Project (WHTP)
"Since 1997, the White House Transition Project has combined the efforts of
scholars, universities, and policy institutions to smooth out the American
presidential transition." Its website features the "Institutional Memory Series"
(reports that "detail organization and operations in a range of offices critical to
a properly functioning White House"), the "Institutional Anatomy Series," news
(such as how Barack Obama is on track to fill appointments at a record pace), and
related material.
LII Item: http://lii.org/cs/lii/view/item/27424

http://www.petkoto.com/2009/01/inauguration-day-2009-live-watch.html

RESOURCES
http://inaugural.senate.gov/history/daysevents/index.cfm
This
is a nice set of slides that covers the 9 major events of the day. The
other links on the page are helpful for a more in-depth study. Lots of
interesting 'firsts.'

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=5768
This is a first hand report from a young student, now a teen, of his first
inaugural experience. Nice viewpoint.

http://techsavvymama.blogspot.com/2009/01/websites-of-week-inauguration-websites.html
This site lists many resources, video tours of the White House and some
reproducible materials.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
 don't know if you can use these for elementary school; however, here are some:

Library of Congress
http://www.memory.loc.gov/learn/features/inaug/inaug.html

C-Span Resources (includes high/middle school worksheet)
http://www.c-span.org/classroom/govt/inauguration.asp

Teacher Vision (includes lesson plan on inaugural poetry)
http://www.teachervision.fen.com/elections/teacher-resources/6615.html

We Must Not Be Enemies: Lincoln's First Inaugural Address
http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=246

Great Presidential Inauguration Websites
http://www.ourwhitehouse.org/greatinaugsites.html

* * * * * * * * * * * *

http://www.webtvhub.com/watch-obama-inauguration-acceptance-speech/

http://www.annieshomepage.com/inauguration.html

 http://www.vrml.k12.la.us/curriculum/holidays/inauguration/inauguration.htm

C-SPAN's FOUR DAY COVERAGE OF
THE 56TH PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION

Coverage of the Inauguration will be available on C-SPAN and can be streamed online
at www.c-span.org.

this link from Recorded Books that provides not only
some lesson plan ideas for the Inauguration but also some free audio
book download samples.

Here's the link:

http://recordedbooks.wordpress.com/2009/01/05/inauguration-activities-and-free-audio/

Here are some that I sent to my teachers. Vicki Hall
Here is a site with free inauguration printables for kids, scroll down to
printables.

http://www.gardenofpraise.com/ibdobama.htm

Teachers,
I sifted throught the websites I sent you and found this site with lesson
plans K - 12.
http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/lesson/lesson219.shtml

Here is a worksheet you can print off with vocabulary for the oath of
office. 4th and 5th graders could work on it.
http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/TM/WS_219_2298.shtml

Thank you again to all who contributed. We have lots to share with our teachers now.

Vicki Hall
Elementary Librarian
Springfield, IL
vshall3@yahoo.com