A few more ideas....

Hi Becky- I have done a book swap a number of times and find this works
for me-
Here is the letter we send home. It will give you an idea of how it
works.

"Dear Parents,

In order to encourage your student to read over the long vacation, we
will be holding a book-swap the last two weeks of school (December
10-21) during your student’s regular library time. Here is the way it
works:

Students bring in books that they have read and enjoyed, that they are
willing to give away; books will not be returned. Books should be in
good shape and an appropriate reading and interest level, something they
would share with a classmate. Students may bring in as many books as
they wish, but will only be allowed to take home 6. Extra books may be
donated to the swap for future use, or credit given to a classmate who
did not bring any books in. Books are left in a container in the
classroom, and a record is kept of the number of books each student
brings in.  Books should not be swapped at this point.

On the day of the swap, the container of books and list are brought to
the library. There is an additional cart of books that will be added to
each class’s books. Library cart books are from previous swaps and
donations, not the library shelves.  Students then swap one for one-
they may choose one book from the swap for each they bring in. Books are
swapped one for one, or two paperbacks for 1 hardcover.

This system has worked well in the past, and seems to prevent most
problems.

It is a great opportunity to “weed” your student’s collection to make
room for new books, and to encourage reading over the holidays.  Let me
know if you have any questions or concerns. You can email me through the
school library website.

Thanks,
And a happy holidays to all your family.

Betci Weldon
Librarian
Elmwood/Hopkins Schools"

I try to keep grade levels separate and found that otherwise the older
kids get stuck with a lot of lower level titles.

We have only had a single problem with a child who didn’t like the
selection and wanted to choose from a different class- We also have a
couple of boxes of “seed’ books from other years to make the selection
choices bigger.

Hope this helps!  The kids really do enjoy it-

Betci Weldon
Library Teacher
Elmwood/Hopkins School
Hopkinton, MA
bweldon@hopkinton.k12.ma.us
--------------
Hi,
I have been doing book swaps for many years and the kids love them.
During the year as I weed, I set aside books that still might have kid
appeal and are in reasonable shape.  When I get occasional donations, I
also set aside those that I don't plan to add to the collection but
might be appropriate for the book swap.  So I always start out with some
books before I solicit books from students.

Near the end of the year we put out a notice (attached) explaining the
swap.  Somewhere along the way I created "fake money"  (In Books We
Trust) using a template from a math book or something and printed it on
green copy paper.  I recycle the "book bucks" each year until they get
so tattered I need to pitch them.

When the kids bring in their books we just right down the number they
brought in on their class roster.  That way they don't lose their book
bucks waiting for their shopping day.  When it's their turn to shop, I
act as a banker and hand out the bucks.  We transform the library into a
store--books artfully arranged on our tables and shelf tops.  Everyone
gets to buy at least one book because I always have enough (due to
weeding and donations and the fact that they can donate as many as they
want but can only buy 10).

We stress that we do not take toddler books and we really encourage
bringing in chapter books so that our oldest students also have
appropriate options.

It makes for a crowded office when the donations start pouring in, and
sometimes I'm ready to tear my hair out tripping over piles, but the
kids truly love it so it is worth the effort.  PLUS, I usually have
their last librarnice way to reinforce summer reading and it means I don't have to
plan a
specific lesson for each class while I'm in the midst of inventory and
all of my end of the year stuff.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Kathy Lawrence
klawrence@ccsuvt.org
Librarian
Hiawatha Elementary School
34 Hiawatha Ave.
Essex Junction, VT  05452
(802) 872-3324
-----------------
    See my attached letter.  This has been a success since the first
year I
started this.  I donate the leftovers to teachers and then to a local
Taiwanese organization.

Mollissa LeMay
Literature & Technology
Hilltop Elementary School
12 Hilltop Road
Mendham, NJ 07945
lemay@mendhamboro.org
------------------
Becky,
  I'm including some signs I use for a paperback exchange I have at my
school.. I have had one for the last several years at the end of the
school year - I use two 'tickets' one for E books and one for F and
non-fiction .. we usually trade several hundred books - we have a
'sister' school and that is what the last slide is about.. I would be
glad to add any details or answer anything else if you like..
good luck!

Sue Marley
Smoky Row Elem
Carmel, IN 46032