Hi, All--I've attempted to put together background on the issue...It's long and
important.

There are talking points on the ALA Washington Offic site
<http://capwiz.com/ala/issues/alert/?alertid=12492861> about this lead issue which
can potentially cause school libraries (and public) to have to pull collections or
restrict acess to books for children under the age of 12 after Feb. 10th.

Until I received this message a few hours ago asking for e-mails with cc to
Congress members, it was thought that we were close to getting an exemption for
libraries.

Posted on the ALA Chapter listserv today was a message asking for calls and e-mails
to the Consumer Product Safety Commission chair Thomas Moore <tmoore@cpsc.gov> to
encourage him to exempt libraries from removing books:
New information…
I have spoken with Commissioner Nord at the CPSC.  She is completely on the side of
libraries.  She and Commissioner Thomas Moore will make a decision together
regarding the exemption of libraries.  Nord understands our situation and
sympathizes with us whereas Commissioner Moore is NOT of the same mind.
Commissioner Moore is the person we need to convince as well as our legislators.
He can be emailed at tmoore@cpsc.gov .

She explained that Congress created this situation for libraries and at this point
want the CPSC to fix it and that she does not think it will be remedied by the
February 10 deadline.

Jeanette M. Hammons, Director
Elko-Lander-Eureka County Library