To me the easiest way to decide whether or not to buy a book for my library is to
ask myself if I could defend my decision to put it in my library if there was a
problem.  If I'm not willing to defend my purchase of it, then I don't buy it.  I
have kids PreK-12, so I have the added "burden" of deciding which books go to the
grade school, middle school, or high school collections.  Again, if I'm not willing
to defend putting a book in the middle school, then I put it at high school. One
criteria I use that really helps me a lot is this.  If the main characters of the
story are high school upper classmen (Twilight, Gossip Girl, etc. series), I have
no problem putting them in the high school collection and telling the middle school
girls they can wait until then. (I only have two libraries, one PreK-5 and one
7-12, so the middle school girls know the books are there.) I'm dealing with a
situation right now where a middle school parent (and colleague of mine) wants us
to get the AR tests for the Twilight books because her daughter read them over the
holidays, and then found out we didn't have a test.  Mainly the girl wants the high
point totals for the books, but AR is an argument for another day. My point is, I
feel very comfortable with my decision of book placement, and will argue my
decision to whatever supervisor or board member may ask for it.

One way I make sure about a book is to read it.  I have read the first book of
many, many series before I put them out so I will have a feel for them, and be
better able to defend my decision.

For those of you who are struggling with decisions on purchase or placement of a
book, when you feel peace about your decision (willing to defend it) you will know
you made the right one.

Currently reading Three Cups of Tea
Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009