Thanks to everyone for your suggestions of true animal stories.

ORIGINAL TARGET:

I use animal stories (books and dvds) to teach character education.

Many times animals show wonderful characteristics like love and caring,
attentiveness, respect and friendship.

I have Owen & Mzee and Koko's Kitten and I am looking for some others like these.

All true stories are welcome, although I would consider fiction if it shows animals
being kind to each other, showing good character.

*****

I just read Alex and Me about a gray parrot. The last thing he said to
his owner was "I love you."

*****

1.  Hero dogs : courageous canines in action

        by Donna M. Jackson.

Presents a variety of stories about working and rescue dogs who help humans in many
ways, such as those involved in the work at the World Trade Center site after the
disaster of September 11, 2001.

2.  Shelter dogs : amazing stories of adopted strays

Peg Kehret ; photographs by Greg Farrar.

Tells the stories of eight stray dogs that were adopted from animal shelters and
went on to become service dogs, actors, and heroes.
Shelter dogs : amazing stories of adopted strays

*****

I'm sure you know about the Owen & Mzee books by Isabel Hatkoff, Craig
Hatkoff, and Dr. Paula Kahumbu.  Wonderful stories.

*****

Andrew Clements has written a leveled series called Pets to the rescue, and they
are based on true animal hero stories: Ringo saves the day; Tara and Tyree; Dolores
and the big fire. Betsy Byars has a fiction short story book called My dog, my
hero. These stories all demonstragte strength, loyalty, and a sense of doing the
right thing for others' sake, even at the expense of the animal's own safety.

*****

First flight : a mother hummingbird’s story / Noriko and Don Carroll

The incredible truth about motherhood / Bradley Trevor Greive

Ice bears / Brenda Z. Guiberson ; illustrated by Ilya Spirin

A koala’s world / written and illustrated by Caroline Arnold

A wombat’s world / written and illustrated by Caroline Arnold

Close to you : how animals bond / Kimiko Kajikawa

Animal families / [written and edited by Lorrie Mack]

Like people / Ingrid and Dieter Schubert

Babies on the go / Linda Ashman ; illustrated by Jane Dyer

Mama’s wild child, papa’s wild child / Dianna Aston ; illustrated by Nora Hilb

Mama : a true story in which a baby hippo loses his mama during the tsunami, but
finds a new home and a new mama / Jeanette Winter

*****

"Tango Makes Three" is a great true story about two penguins who adopt an
abandon baby penguin in the Boston Zoo. It has been a little controversial
because it is two male penguins who do the adopting and some people are
against this idea :(. But that is irrelevant because it is a true story!

*****

try  THE  GRUMPY CAT  and  THE TWO BOBBIES

*****

Do you know Chibi: a true story from Japan by Barbara Brenner?  Its a true story of
a family of ducks living in the Mitsui Office Park and Imperial Gardens in Japan,
that had many people interested and watching them.  It was also made into a movie
called Little Duck Tale made by the Discovery Channel back in 1985!

*****

Check out any stories by James Herriot.  I can't think of titles right off
the top of my head, but he's a vet who wrote some of his stories in picture
books.

*****

James Herriot was a veterinarian and he has a few books of stories of animals that
are true.  All Creatures Great and Small is one of his titles  A couple of his
stories have been made into picture books

*****

What about And Tango Makes Three  based on the true story about two male penguins
that adopted an egg and raised the baby girl penguin? I know its controversial, but
my Kindergarteners loved it when they were doing a unit about penguins. I also plan
to use it with the second graders this year if they do penguins.

I'm on vacation and drawing a blank but I know there are two recent books about
tortoises. I think one is called Sunnyboy which was semi-true about a 100+ year old
tortise passing through several owners and going over Niagra Falls with one of his
last owners, Sunnyboy survived...the human did not.  I think there is also one
about a lost tortoise named Lucille, and offhand I'm not sure if it is based on a
true story or not. However all three of these titles are in my easy fiction section.

*****

Jane Goodall has two books, The Chimpanzee Family Book and something along the
lines of The Chimpanzees I Love.  I seem to recall that they have some wonderful
descriptive pieces about how famiy members take care of each other.

*****

Eckert, Allan.  Incident at Hawk's Hill.
Taylor, Theodore.  The Trouble With Tuck [a seeing eye dog for a blind
dog]

*****

Jane Goodall's book is Ricki and Henry (might be spelled Ricky and Henri....)

*****

Hero Cat by Eileen Spinelli

*****

Remembered one more, new Junior Library Guild selection:  Two Bobbies: a true story
of Hurricane Katrina, friendship, and survival  by Kirby Larson and Mary Nethery

*****

_____________________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Librarian
Damrosch Day Treatment School
NYC Department of Education
750 Jennings Street
Bronx, NY 10459
voice: 718 378-0006 x2172
fax: 718 589-9544
p s a r l e s @ s c h o o l s . n y c . g o v
http://damroschlibrary.blogspot.com/
http://wjdlibrary.wikispaces.com/

"Ten guards and the warden couldn't have torn me out of those books. Months passed
without even thinking about being imprisoned....I had never been so truly free in
my life." - Malcolm X

"Some kids go to the library ... Others to the street. But they can't go to the
libraries if the libraries are closed." - Officer Dombranski, NYPD