My comments below are in response to this e-mail and the later target e-mail about
grades.

In my K to 8 school, I've been giving library grades for 8 years for grades 5
through 8. When I first started, my grade was passed to the Language Arts teachers
who then factored the grade into their grade. Three or four years ago we bought an
automated grading program and I was told that my Library grade had to be an
individual subject grade. I was happy that Library was getting the recognition that
it deserved but on the other hand it has caused a lot more work for me.

My assessments are based upon quizzes, projects, homework, etc and not on behavior,
or as I reassured the students, overdue library books. I'm on the right hand side
of the report card with Art, so the grade scale is U (unacceptable - 60-69), I
(improvement needed - 70-79), M (meets expectations - 80-89) and E (exceeds
expectations - 90 -100). Music, believe it or not, is on the left side of the
report card and is factored into their cumulative average. With Library, if they
have an I they cannot get honors. These sometimes results in phone calls from
parents but the school is very supportive of the importance of library and library
skills to the curriculum.

There is much collaboration between the library and the teachers, so many of my
assessments are connected with work they do in other classes. For example, we are
currently researching History Day for grades 6-8, and so students receive a library
grade for their research and sources and Annotated Works Consulted. In addition, we
blog and they receive a grade for their participation with the blog. For their
library curriculum, they receive grades for any homework connected with the unit.
You could probably do similar assessments with younger students.

I assign a numeric grade and the grading program "converts" it to the letter scale.
Fortunately, I don't need to assess the lower grades. They'd have to clone me for
that.

Rosanne Zajko - Librarian
Ancillae Assumpta Academy
Wyncote, Pa.