My question asked about research regarding audio books and improved
reading.  I received the following answers and many good articles.

I placed the articles on the LM_Net Wiki under Reading Research
(http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/Reading+Research)

If I missed you and even if I didn't, thank you for all the wonderful

I wrote a grant to purchase Playaways for my elementary library.  In it
I used the following statement and quote:

In an article in the School Library Journal (April 1998) by Kylene Beers
she states "audiobooks act as a scaffold that allows students to read
above their actual reading level".

Recorded Books has an entire section of their website devoted to the
research that backs the theory that they improve reading:

http://www.recordedbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=school.research

Try Marie Carbo.  I don't have the info at my fingertips but I went to a
Carbo workshop several years ago.

Recorded Books, Inc., puts research info in their catalogs from time to
time because they know we often need it to support grant writing in
order to get an audiobook collection. I would contact them or check
their website, www.recordedbooks.com. Usually they mention that
audiobooks help increase fluency

Here is an article that may be a good jumping off point:

AUTHOR: Sharon Grover; Lizette Hannegan

TITLE: Hear and Now: Connecting Outstanding Audiobooks to Library and
Classroom Instruction

SOURCE: Teacher Librarian 35 no3 17-21 F 2008

Jim Trelease is the read-aloud guru.  You might also want to look at
Stephen Krashen's research.  (They're both easily accessible online.)

Robin Weber

Media Director

Site Communication Coordinator

St. Francis High School

St. Francis, MN  55070

robin.weber@stfrancis.k12.mn.us

763-213-1606

You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where
people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of
employing wild animals as librarians.

- Monty Python skit