Hi Book Lovers--

I'm posting the notice below for Betsy Bird, children's librarian at the
NY Public Library. Boy, does she have a great job. Not only does she
write one of my favorite blogs ever (Fuse#8--go to
www.schoollibraryjournal.com and look under blogs--and do check out all
their blogs, which are fabulous), but in the children's room of NYPL,
there's a steady stream of children's book authors and illustrators
stopping by. Last time I was in the neighborhood, I popped in to say hi,
and who was there, ready to give a storytelling program for kids,
but Newbery Medal winner, Laura Amy Schlitz. (Good timing, no?)
She was fantastic.

The upcoming Children’s Literary Café, as you'll see in Betsy's post
below, features Candace Fleming talking about her book, The Lincolns,
one of my very favorite nonfiction books of the year. (And why did that
book not win a Sibert? I'm mystified. It's riveting.) If you've never seen
Candy Fleming, she's a delight. Get there an hour early and you can also
hear Barry Denenberg talk about his book Lincoln Shot. If you haven't seen
that one, it's pretty amazing, too--and gets the prize as biggest book of the
year--it's so oversized, you could make a coffee table out of it.

Happy 200th Birthday, Abe! Do pass the word along about the program
to your friends & colleagues in the Big Apple.

A personal note--check out www.READKIDDOREAD.com for all sorts of
recent updates, including some new author interviews. Click on the
COMMUNITY button at the top of the home page and you'll find my
newest booklist, Almost Can't Miss Sure-Shot Books for Girls (and, if
you didn't see this already, the companion list for boys). I've been having
a great time writing reviews, booklists, and a blog on the website,
which was started by author James Patterson to help parents turn their
kids into book lovers. Do pass the word along to your teachers, parents,
and kids. We've got 150 book reviews on the site now, and lots more,
if you count the booklists I've been compiling for the Community. The
site keeps getting better & better.

Judy

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
Reviewer for www.READKIDDOREAD.com
Author of Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
(Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
and Once Upon a Time:
Using Storytelling, Creative Drama, and
Reader's Theater with Children in Grades K-6 (2007)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com
www.JudyReadsBooks.com

COME HEAR   AUTHORS CANDACE FLEMING & BARRY DENENBERG AT NYPL

The Children’s Literary Café at the new Children’s Center at
42nd Street is pleased to announce our February event on Saturday,
February 7th at 2:00 p.m.:

In conjunction with celebrating Abraham Lincoln’s 200th birthday,
join Candace Fleming (Ben Franklin's Almanac) as she discusses
her new double biography The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at
Abraham and Mary.  Please note that this program will be held
in the South Court Auditorium.  Literary Cafe attendees may
also be interested in arriving an hour early to see author
Barry Denenberg present his own book Lincoln Shot:
A President's Life Remembered.  That program is not part of
the Children's Literary Cafe but should provide great insights
into the creation of historically accurate texts for young readers.

The Children’s Literary Café is a monthly gathering of adults
who are fans of children’s literature.  Professionals, librarians,
authors, illustrators, publishers, booksellers, teachers, and anyone
else interested in the field are welcome to attend our meetings.
The Literary Café provides free Advanced Readers galleys,
a rotating series of talks with professionals in the field, and
great conversation.  This program is for adults only.

New York Public Library
Children's Center at 42nd Street
Room 84
475 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10018

From Wall Street to Main Street and
everywhere in between, stay up-to-date with the latest news.
(http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023)