Hi Everyone,
Some of your LM_Net colleagues are members of YALSA's Quick Picks for
Reluctant Readers Committee. They put in countless hours reading more
than 180 books and attending conference meetings (at their own expense)
and helped create a selection list specifically for reluctant readers.
I feel like we created a great diverse list that everyone can use to
make sure every kind of kid has a book they can connect with personally.
Be sure to congratulate Marie Slim (Troy High, Fullerton, CA) and
Heather Gruenthal (Western High/Orangeview Jr. High, Anaheim CA) on
their participation. They represented the school library world very
well!

The 2009 Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers List is out- be sure to check
out the full list at

http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/yalsa/booklistsawards/quickpicks/09qp.
cfm

The following books made our Top Ten:

Life Sucks by Jessica Abel and Gabriel Soria
One Hundred Young Americans by Michael Franzini
Permanence by Kip Fulbeck
No Choirboy: Murder, Violence and Teenagers on Death Row by Susan Kuklin
Wake by Lisa McMann
Body Drama by Nancy Amanda Redd
Skulls by Noah Scalin
Retaliation by Yasmin Shiraz
Custom Kicks by Kim Smits and Matthijs Maat
Ghosts: Caught on Film by Melvyn Willin

Please note that our list is a selection tool, several titles contain
mature content and librarians should use their professional judgment in
determining whether it is appropriate for your library and patrons.

A big thanks to the committee for all their hard work, we had over 175
nominations and we read them all and more in an effort to create a list
to assist librarians connect reluctant readers to books.

Joy Millam
District Library Coordinator / Teacher Librarian
YALSA's Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers Committee Chairperson (2009)
Valencia High School
Placentia, CA
714-996-4970 x3250
jmillam@pylusd.org