Thanks to those who replied! Here's the original query:

If you are currently podcasting using GarageBand on a MacBook, I would love
to pick your brain on what type of sound equipment will make the best
podcasts.

And the replies:

We use Logitech headsets that have microphones attached.  Simple as
that.  They make great students podcasts.  If you're talking about a
regular podcast that say our superintendent does once a month, then we
have a much more USB expensive headset that runs around $60.00.
*****
I use Garageband to podcast. I love it! Here's a link to my book podcasts,
http://web.me.com/cgpappas/Site/Podcast/Podcast.html

I use either a Samson USB mic or a Logitech earphone mic. Both are excellent
and under $200. The headphone/mouthpiece mic was $29 on Amazon. Samson is
more expensive but worth the price when podcasting with students. It really
cuts down on other ambient noises. Clear, crisp and  professional sounding.

Then there's Garageband which allows you to do cover art and even "enhanced"
podcasts where you can add links and pictures. I think it's the best tool
ever. I work from a script I write about a book and then I record it and
decide what should go with it. I can get a few done in a short time, under
an hour. I have published podcasts to my own Mobile Me account. My district
is 99% PC but I have four iMacs in my library. I have had students podcast
booktalks and it has gone really well. I insist on a script and provide a
lesson with examples on how to put together something. It's really fun!
*****
I'm using Garage Band on a Macbook. I'm not sure what you mean by sound
equipment? An external mike? Computer speakers for playback?
As long as the reader is not editing in really loud music or sound effects,
we're getting great results. I convert to mp3 on iTunes and upload to our
Blackboard site.
******

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

-- Ellen Taylor, LMS