Amy,
I have heard that the head of the school library is on administrative
level in Japan.  I think there is great sense in this - contrary to many
of my colleagues across the country.  If you might have time to verify
this I think it would be useful.

I also think it would be very useful for colleges and universities in
the US to develop administrative library media supervisor programs for
high school / district level positions. Programs might place less
emphasis on cataloging minutia, etc. and more on media and communication
in all forms - to be united under one roof within the school - the
library media center.  This is timely now because it makes a school more
efficient and it is well worth it for districts to institute such a
model.  Many of our state associations do not aim high enough and are
entrenched in a stale old model of positions and services, and in my
opinion these associations should busy themselves with these endeavors.
If school libraries do not change with the times and aim toward higher
status through more comprehensive services for students and staff within
the school, I am afraid of the consequences.
David

www.librarymedia.net
ddigregorio@tenafly.k12.nj.us
Tel.  201-816-6617