I got lots of responses but not the word I was looking for, however,

The closest word matching the definition of "lacking spirituality" is acedia, which
has the great definition: "spiritual inactivity or boredom, apathy and inactivity
in the practice of virtue", which was definitely the concept I was trying to
describe, so I will go with acedia

ORIGINAL TARGET:

Years ago I learned a wonderful word that meant "lacking spirituality"

Does anybody know what this word is? I'd consider it one of those $1000. vocabulary
words.

Or if you know of some type of reverse dictionary that allows you to look up
definitions that'd be great.

I tried the OED but I couldn't find it. I don't even remember the first letter of
the word, otherwise I'd happily read through that whole part of the dictionary.

It's that great a word.

here are the other responses:

*****

I saw your request for a word for "lacking spirituality."  A colleague here at the
NY State Library suggests "heterodox."  Here's one definition: "not in accordance
with established or accepted doctrines or opinions, esp. in theology; unorthodox."

*****

Not the right word but might convey something similar: "philistine"

*****

materialist - emphasizes material existence over spiritual values.
humanist - emphasizes human over divine or supernatural aspects.

Macs has a good hypertexted dictionary, complete with antonyms.

*****

well, a google search reveals "worldly" as being defined as "lacking spirituality",
with synonyms of

worldly

modif.

Lacking spirituality or idealism

mundane, earthly, ungodly, matter-of-fact, practical, secular, profane, strategic,
grubbing, money-making, unprincipled, power-loving, self-centered, opportunistic,
sophisticated.

Antonyms spiritual*, religious*, idealistic. *

Referring to life on the earth

terrestrial, earthly, sublunary, mundane, telluric, human, natural, temporal. See
syn. study at earthly.earthly.

I like SUBLUNARY  and  TELLURIC  myself.  :-)

*****

You may already received an answer but my reverse dictionary lists
spiritual lethargy as:  accidie, acedia.

*****

also temporal

*****

worldly

Lacking spirituality or idealism

mundane, earthly, ungodly, matter-of-fact, practical, secular, profane, strategic,
grubbing, money-making, unprincipled, power-loving, self-centered, opportunistic,
sophisticated.

Antonyms spiritual*, religious*, idealistic. *

*****

The only word I can think of is secularity.

*****

Could you have  been thinking of "temporal"?

*****

Maybe this would help?

http://www.onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=lacking+spirituality

*****

Couldit be wordly - or profane - or  secular?

*****

I used google and found the following -

*Synonyms *

        worldly

modif.

Lacking spirituality or idealism

mundane <http://www.yourdictionary.com/mundane>, earthly
<http://www.yourdictionary.com/earthly>, ungodly
<http://www.yourdictionary.com/ungodly>, matter-of-fact
<http://www.yourdictionary.com/matter-of-fact>, practical
<http://www.yourdictionary.com/practical>, secular
<http://www.yourdictionary.com/secular>, profane
<http://www.yourdictionary.com/profane>, strategic
<http://www.yourdictionary.com/strategic>, grubbing, money-making,
unprincipled <http://www.yourdictionary.com/unprincipled>, power-loving,
self-centered <http://www.yourdictionary.com/self-centered>,
opportunistic <http://www.yourdictionary.com/opportunistic>,
sophisticated. <http://www.yourdictionary.com/sophisticated>

*****

Carnal ???
Reprobate ???

*****

Here are some synonyms for worldly. Is it one of these?

carnal, earthly, earthy, fleshly, human, lay, materialistic, mundane, natural,
physical, practical, profane, secular, sublunary, telluric, temporal, terrene,
terrestrial, ungodly

*****

If you search Google with the following:
"lacking spirituality" definition
you'll come up with many words including carnal, profane, worldly.

*****

acephalous?
pusillanimous?
     insensate?

*****

A quick Google search pulled up these links:

http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml

http://dictionary.reference.com/reverse/

*****

Acedia? It means spiritual apathy. However, it doesn't sound like you
were looking for a noun.

*****

worldly  ??

Lacking spirituality or idealism

synonyms: mundane, earthly, ungodly, matter-of-fact, practical, secular, profane,
strategic, grubbing, money-making, unprincipled, power-loving, self-centered,
opportunistic, sophisticated.

*****

Are you looking for the word "acedia"?  It's in the title of Kathleen Norris' new
book, "Acedia and Me".

*****

These are probably not what you were thinking of, but the thesaurus gives them as
antonyms of "spiritual."

Near Antonyms earthly, mundane, worldly; irreligious, semireligious

Antonyms nonreligious, profane, secular

*****

Materialism?

*****

_____________________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Librarian
Damrosch Day Treatment School
NYC Department of Education
750 Jennings Street
Bronx, NY 10459
voice: 718 378-0006 x2172
fax: 718 589-9544
p s a r l e s @ s c h o o l s . n y c . g o v
http://damroschlibrary.blogspot.com/
http://wjdlibrary.wikispaces.com/

"Ten guards and the warden couldn't have torn me out of those books. Months passed
without even thinking about being imprisoned....I had never been so truly free in
my life." - Malcolm X

"Some kids go to the library ... Others to the street. But they can't go to the
libraries if the libraries are closed." - Officer Dombranski, NYPD