Thanks for all the responses re: integrating math and the library

ORIGINAL TARGET:

I have a math teacher who loves the library and wants to bring his class in to do
research, but not just on famous mathematicians.

Does anyone have any math/library lessons or know where on the web I could take a
look at some?

These are the responses I got:

*****

feel free to look at our website:  www.ndapa.org - select
library and then Research Project Pathfinders, scroll to bottom and
select the Math wikipathfinder - it includes tons of links to Math in
Everyday Life that our math teachers have used to get kids to do a bit
of practical research into how math surrounds them everyday.  Fun stuff.

*****

I work with a math statistics class.  The project consists of the students
researching a topic of interest.  I show them how to search the web using Boolean
searches. They must also evaluate the sites they use.  Their final project is a
poster board display that includes:

10 words from the article that they didn't know and must define on a chart.
Display of a graph.
Written summary of the topic.
They must display their search strategy.
Write six true/false statements about their topic.
Then present their work.

The display is also inter-active.  Therefore, the vocabulary words must be
scrambled with the correct answers behind them.  The true/false cards are put on
index cards so they can lift the card to see the correct answers.

*****

'm not sure what grade level you're in, but I think a webquest on the
Golden Ratio (Phi) would be really interesting to upper level middle
and high school kids.

The wikipedia entry on it has links to some sites with activites, plus
this would be a great research activity that could involve your books
in the plant and animal sciences, art and human anatomy.

*****

Sir Cumference and the First Round Table would make a good read aloud,,,or maybe if
you can do a lesson with it.

*****

I haven't done any classes with math teachers for awhile, but I've had success in
the past with tessellation (we looked at Escher and quilt calendars and looked
around school for more); I've done map projections...a personal fave.

*****

I have math classes come in and practice area, estimation and percentages.  They
estimate how many books are in each section of the library by counting one shelf
and multiplying then they estimate the whole collection, they measure the library
for area, square footage etc.  the task is more or less complex depending on the
grade level and student abilities.  Its a lot of fun.

*****

Please look at my website for some context. I am making a major update
and will be removing bad links and reclassifying the site. Currently I
have both a separate Math section and a Math / Science section.
(http://www.nylearns.org/webpage/viewpage.aspx?ID=27127&UID=10276)

Do you have a SmartBoard? There are many components that apply to math
within the software and adaptable to math research lessons.

*****

_____________________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Librarian
Damrosch Day Treatment School
NYC Department of Education
750 Jennings Street
Bronx, NY 10459
voice: 718 378-0006 x2172
fax: 718 589-9544
p s a r l e s @ s c h o o l s . n y c . g o v
http://damroschlibrary.blogspot.com/
http://wjdlibrary.wikispaces.com/

"Ten guards and the warden couldn't have torn me out of those books. Months passed
without even thinking about being imprisoned....I had never been so truly free in
my life." - Malcolm X

"Some kids go to the library ... Others to the street. But they can't go to the
libraries if the libraries are closed." - Officer Dombranski, NYPD