From: Barbara Braxton [mailto:barbara.288@bigpond.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:50 PM
To: 'Carol Simpson'; LM_NET
Subject: RE: [LM_NET] GEN: Pay to loan?

Dear Carol
I don't know if it is the same thing as the South African proposal,  but
each year our Copyright
Agency samples the collections of a wide range of public and educational
libraries and somehow
matches the results against the titles that authors have registered with
them.  They then use some
sort of formula so that the authors then get paid a certain amount per copy.
This year I got over
$1000 for books that I wrote in the early 90s but which are still held in
school library
collections.

Depending on the sort of library and the type of work you can get either
Public Lending Rights or
Educational Lending Rights, and some, like Morris Gleitzman would get both.
It is funded by the
federal government.  There is more information at
http://www.arts.gov.au/books/lending_rights

Perhaps the essential difference is that term "developing country" because I
can't imagine that
Australia is the only country to have this scheme.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630