Dear friends,

In our era of social networks, online databases, and cloud computing,
personal privacy has emerged as one of the most pressing concerns in
libraries and beyond.  ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom invites you
to take up these issues and join with us as we kick off the National
Conversation on Privacy, an initiative that will culminate in Choose
Privacy Week, May 2 - 8, 2010.

A critical component of this campaign will be the Privacy Toolkit,
offering libraries the information and resources they need to implement
programs and connect with citizens at the local level.  We are now in
the final stages of planning for the toolkit and we need your help.  We
are seeking contributions for the toolkit on a broad range of topics,
which are identified in the attached outline.  Within these parameters,
we are also interested in additional ideas for content, particularly
those with "out of the box" solutions to educating and engaging library
users on privacy issues.

Our goal is to provide substantial, practical information for librarians
and to represent as many segments of ALA membership as possible.  Please
email amaycock@ala.org by July 31, 2009 with the content area you are
interested in contributing to the Privacy Toolkit.  Final copy will be
due no later than October 1, 2009.  With your expertise and involvement,
we are confident that the toolkit will be an invaluable resource!  Thank
you in advance for your assistance, and please be in touch with any
questions or concerns.  Feel free to forward this message to other
individuals or lists as appropriate.

Best wishes,

Angela Maycock

Assistant Director