Hi, All--as I read today's LM_NET messages (OK, I scanned them, reading some), it
hit  me that it would be great to get input from the collective LM_NET brain about
how reference purchasing, service and teaching have changed since the Internet and
e-reference have become available, say in the last 10 years.

Have you shifted from print encyclopedias totally to electronic encyclopedias? Do
you subscribe to electronic or post a link to free encyclopedias?

How do you decide which reference sources must remain current in print? Any?
Certain subjects or kinds of resources?

With many schools cutting back on the numbers of LMSs resulting in schools with
shared or no librarians, who teaches elementary students how to use reference
sources well for research?

Does your library web page combine links to both free and subscribtion reference?
Do your pathfinders include print as well as electronic resources? Which do
students prefer? Teachers? Why?

Thanks for any insights you might want to share. I will be the school librarian on
a Reference Books Bulletin program in Chicago on Monday at 10:30, titled
"Rethinking the Reference Collection" McCormick Place West, W-179. And I would love
to share your insights about any of the above questions.

Thanks, Sara

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sara Kelly Johns

Immediate Past President, AASL

Associate Editor for AASL Community, Knowledge Quest

Lake Placid Middle/High School LMC

34 School Street

Lake Placid, NY 12946

518-523-2474, ext. 4132

FAX: 518-523-4861

johns@northnet.org

SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson