I just returned from Galveston, Texas - post Hurricane Ike is beginning to
look good!   Still lots of empty store fronts, but with some 19,000 building
permits issued & posted .  The Rosenberg Public Library there is the oldest
public library in Texas in continuous operation.  It will have its grand
re-opening of the second floor and mezzanine – the first floor was wiped out
during the flooding - this next weekend, so I missed that.   I understand
the stacks are still closed to the public, but citizens can request books
and pick them up at a designated entrance.

The old building – circa 1904 (following the hurricane of 1900) is
absolutely LOVELY!  Note the details – and although I didn’t get a close-up,
the blocks at the roofline to the right and left of the door say
“Longfellow”  and  “Shakespeare”.  Similar  blocks continue all the way
around the building with the names of other classic authors.

Speaking of Hurricane Ike – we visited  several of the art galleries on Post
Office Street which have re-opened since the Hurricane – just a few blocks
from the library.  Note the water level I am pointing to in this picture –
the gallery owners commemorated IKE even after a complete remodel.

--
Leah M. Hawkins, Librarian
West Hurst Elementary

"It's no use going to school unless the library is your final destination."
Ray Bradbury